What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2020

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2020

Post by Gnepig »

Mac man that is awesome! You are living the dream...

Not as cool as Mac's project, but I found these on Bookface market place:

Got them for 100 bucks and only traveled 20 minutes to get them. They even came with the water hose. Now the hard part is finding a place to put them in the house then I have to make the pilgrimage back and forth to Publix from there water filter machine...
... Just a Dude...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 am Nice Mac! That is really exciting. Keep the progress pics coming :)
Well I just went into a very long history of how and why I got my hunting property and what got me to the point I'm at. In the end I decided it was too much info so I deleted it. Suffice to say it was a long process that's finally coming to fruition. Life is good.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

My prepping goals for 2020 are reduced because I have gone through 6 months of shutdown.

There are summarized as follows:
1. keep up on the exercises;
2. keep up on the home repairs and eliminate deferred maintenance.

I just went through 2 months of being bed ridden. Could not be anticipated medically. Not able to keep up on the exercises. Found my stamina/resistance were way down. Haven't any underlying medical conditions and was not on any medication. Realized how much easier life would be with the old, barely working items either repaired or replaced.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Wife went through a bunch of shelf items and has been in the process of rotating old to new and ordering some of the items we are low on.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Now that Dave posted his photos of his build site, I thought I would update you all.

MOVED TO THE SHELTER FORUM

More progress...baby steps.

The build site has been leveled and the foundation/garage backfilled. In addition the septic system has been installed. Look back at the previous pictures for the before shots.

Yet to be done...Just waiting on the modular house to be finished and delivered. Then the garage and covered porch will be built on site and the well drilled, propane tank delivered. Then the garage floor will be poured as well as the gravel driveway put in. Debating whether to put in a whole house generator or just use a portable one.
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Looking good! What was your projected completion date?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:13 pm Looking good! What was your projected completion date?
Now mid October. We're running about 2 months behind due to the virus. Normally the house would be up by now.

The factory building the house was shut down for 6 weeks this spring due to the virus. Then there was a problem with the title search. Apparently when we closed on the land 25 years ago the title company made a mistake with the description. They left a part out. Even though we already owned the property it took 3 weeks to find it and clear it up. That delayed the closing. Then we had an issue with the township issuing permits at the address. Since the house was going up on a different parcel than the current cabin (we bought, owned and combined two adjacent parcels) they had to issue us a new address which means all the paperwork had to be changed. Then there was the financing, insurance, etc, etc. You would think it was have been easier to do everything online since everybody was working from home but the lender's website form preparation sucked. It took weeks to figure everything out, make it work and get it all submitted.

Be prepared, it's always something.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:30 pm Be prepared, it's always something.
Yeah, it's unbelievable the amount of paperwork you have to submit. Hours sitting at the computer scanning in documents and attaching to emails. I'm hoping that the bulk is now done and anything that comes up is easy. Looking at March of next year. They won't be breaking ground till end of October or early November.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:16 pm
Mac66 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:30 pm Be prepared, it's always something.
Yeah, it's unbelievable the amount of paperwork you have to submit. Hours sitting at the computer scanning in documents and attaching to emails. I'm hoping that the bulk is now done and anything that comes up is easy. Looking at March of next year. They won't be breaking ground till end of October or early November.
Did you go through a developer/buildier i.e, someone who already had the land set up as lots with models to choose (kind of like in a subdivison) or did you just find the land and then found a house model to build?
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I admire you for your energy in dealing with the various problems. I don't think that I could do it.