Open Carry

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Open Carry

Post by David »

I remember the headline I saw a couple of years ago when Texas went OC. It read, 'Must to do about nothing'. Prior to the bill going into law (Jan 1st IIRC) the usual suspects were screaming how it would be like the old west with gun fights in the street. Of course the old west was really only the 'old west' in movies. The actual old west was actually very polite...because everyone carried a gun.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:01 am Open carry was recognized openly in Michigan quite a few years ago. There is a group here (Mich Open Carry/MOC) who regularly open carry and I've seen OC in stores, restaurants, gas stations etc. It is particularly popular in northern/rural Michigan. I've not heard of a single incident of someone being robbed, attacked for having a gun openly displayed.

When I went to Alaska a few years ago lots of people OC'd in the cities and of course on the trails, streams etc.

I think when people get used to others OCing there is a lot less anxiety by both the carriers and people around them. It becomes a normal thing.
If you think like an attacker, taking away a gun from an open carry isn't all that difficult.

https://www.google.com/search?q=open+ca ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.dailypress.com/news/crime/d ... story.html

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... -armed-man
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:58 am I remember the headline I saw a couple of years ago when Texas went OC. It read, 'Must to do about nothing'. Prior to the bill going into law (Jan 1st IIRC) the usual suspects were screaming how it would be like the old west with gun fights in the street. Of course the old west was really only the 'old west' in movies. The actual old west was actually very polite...because everyone carried a gun.
You have to look into that 'everyone carried a gun'.
Look into Tombstone, AZ. You could not carry a gun in town. You had to check it in when you arrived and pick it up when you left.

And a lot of people did not have hand guns. They were expensive. During the 1870s, a brand new Colt Peacemaker cost approximately $17.50 (or about $330 today). That was the equivalent of a month's wages for most.

If I had to choose between a pistol and rifle I'd choose a rifle.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Unfortunately, several towns like Tombstone forgot the Constitution. I would like to see all states have both open and concealed to provide the option.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Handgun in the west was an army holdover a lot of times. Rifle was a tool for hunting...

The "Wild" west was not as wild as it was reported.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:59 pm The "Wild" west was not as wild as it was reported.
Exactly, it is mostly hollywood hype.

GT4494

Post by GT4494 »

Only in SHTF I would chest carry or leg carry. Only for ease of instant access. I'd probably carry two one in each. :)