Open Carry

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Open Carry

Post by David »

If you were in a situation where you were going to open carry a firearm, what would you use, what type of holster, and why? The situation could be that you live in an open carry state and have the choice. The situation could be that you're hunting, fishing, camping or hiking. The situation could be that it's a shtf situation and grey man isn't the way your choosing to go for whatever reason. Your answer of course could vary depending on what situation is being discussed.

Thought it would be a fun topic.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdc
Board Founder

Re: Open Carry

Post by bdc »

Venezuela years ago. I carried a .22 short pistol that was so small it would fit within the hand, loaded. Why? Because if you appear to be unarmed, you will have the advantage over open carry or any potential assailant. Otherwise, given the usual hysteria in the USA, I would never open carry - a firearm or a knife.

Sorry, but being the grey man is the way to go. 13 miles from City Hall to home. 10 blocks to the miles according to Post Office. 1 jerk per block. 130 jerks. Multiple cultures to wade through, assuming not going to ground. Open carry will not serve as a deterrent under those conditions. Would rely upon situational awareness.

By the way...if you anticipate problems, take the sling off of any rifle or shotgun. The weapon should always be in your hands.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

SHTF is only one of the possible situations in which one might open carry. There are other situations that don't require grey man.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 pm SHTF is only one of the possible situations in which one might open carry. There are other situations that don't require grey man.
SHTF is not the time to open carry. If the SHTF there isn't cops around to be concerned about you showing a gun. Walking around during SHTF with open carry says "I got stuff". Gray man is the way to go during SHTF.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:54 pm The situation could be that you're hunting, fishing, camping or hiking. T
Thought it would be a fun topic.
For the above with ROL a chest rig would be best.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I open carry occasionally when I stop for gas and/or don't feel like or remember to cover up. Open carried for years in the woods while hunting etc.

Cops open carry all the time and rarely have a problem . Since a basic citizen isn't enforcing the law or confronting criminals I don't see a problem with carrying a gun exposed. I understand the "you will be a target" thing but that's largely a myth conjured up by paranoid gun owners.

Open carry during SHTF may mean "I got stuff" but is also means "I got a gun so don't F with me". During SHTF it's time to show your stuff. In which case the more intimidating (i.e. tactical rifle and a pistol) the better.
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Mac66 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:01 pm

Open carry during SHTF may mean "I got stuff" but is also means "I got a gun so don't F with me". During SHTF it's time to show your stuff. In which case the more intimidating (i.e. tactical rifle and a pistol) the better.
Think like an attacker. During SHTF someone with a scoped hunting rifle and friends who could use a nice 1911 or tactical rifle with ammo and all the other nice stuff you have. It doesn't take much to touch you at a distance. You won't have time to say "don't ..."
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:01 pm Cops open carry all the time and rarely have a problem and since a basic citizen isn't enforcing the law or confronting criminals I don't see a problem with carrying a gun exposed. I understand the "you will be a target" thing but that's largely a myth conjured up by paranoid gun owners.
It would seem that many folks, in a lot of states, open carry. There is a group called Second on the Second or something like that. They make it a point to open carry on the Second of each month and they hand out flyers explaining people's rights and such. This of course is in states where open carry is allowed. I'm sure that somewhere, at some time they was an isolated issue with someone open carrying i.e. the person being targeted or attacked. However, I can't recall any specific issue.

I can state where a large, local PD over-reacted when a citizen was open carrying while fishing. In Florida you can open carry while going to, coming from or engaging in fishing, camping and hunting. Perfectly legal. Unfortunately for the two cowboy Officers involved, they didn't properly know the law which resulted in the PD being successfully sued and the city attorney personally apologizing to the man fishing. It was a true cluster in which they violated the man's civil rights. As a result, every Officer in the PD (hundreds) had to go through mandatory legal training. Never found out how much $ they had to shell out. Miami PD got themselves in a jam as well IIRC.

Anyway, I open carry when we have our SEP gatherings or when I'm out hiking/fishing. My woods-carry pistol is now going to be my HK P2000 in 40 S&W or 357sig (likely 40 S&W).

I could see open carrying in and around my house neigborhood in the event of a shtf situation. Likely my HK P30 or Glock 19X.

Edited to add: I like a Black Hawk Serpa holster for open carry.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I would never open carry for self defense. No benefits to it. I don't consider around the house/yard/range open carry.
For woods carry I like a large caliber in a chest holster. G20/21sf in a Gunfighters Inc would be ideal because it would be out of the way, but quickly accessed. Here there's no reason to conceal as it offers no benefits.
Different answers for different questions.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Open carry was recognized openly in Michigan quite a few years ago. There is a group here (Mich Open Carry/MOC) who regularly open carry and I've seen OC in stores, restaurants, gas stations etc. It is particularly popular in northern/rural Michigan. I've not heard of a single incident of someone being robbed, attacked for having a gun openly displayed.

When I went to Alaska a few years ago lots of people OC'd in the cities and of course on the trails, streams etc.

I think when people get used to others OCing there is a lot less anxiety by both the carriers and people around them. It becomes a normal thing.