Home defense vs. EDC platform

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Home defense vs. EDC platform

Post by David »

To begin, this is simply a mental exercise and thinking out loud. Nothing herein is meant to be definitive or absolute. This thread is discussing handgun choices, perspective, philosophy and is separate from any long guns which are part of a HD plan.

Is your EDC pistol the same as your night stand/home defense pistol (revolver)? If so, why? If not, why?

Now 99%+ of the time a 5-shot snubby would probably suffice in both roles. But if you have chosen different platforms for each role, what is your rationale?

For EDC I've chosen the Sig P365(X). I put 'X' in brackets because it was a P365 converted over to the X standard. I will also often carry the P365XL. Similar enough to consider the same platform for EDC. I'm very comfortable with the P365 platform and it was the last pistol I officially qualified with as an off-duty weapon. 12+1 rounds with a 15-round spare mag which is usually carried. With a couple of 10-round mags (converted base plates to fit in the X/XL grip) in my sling bag which is normally in the car. 10 rounds is my personal threshold for capacity based on my experience so the P365 platform meets and exceeds that threshold. I know that it will perform well having qualified with it as well has competed with it. More than enough for any likely scenario and leans heavily towards being sufficient for any unlikely scenario.

For night stand/HD I have felt comfortable with the P365 on my night stand. Indeed, while moving to the new home and stuff was still at the old house I relied on the P365 while other higher capacity platforms were locked in the safe. But generally speaking, based again on my experience and what I've researched and seen in news stories, incidents such as home invasion are likely to involve multiple bad guys. Not always and again, no absolutes. But it seems to be a team event in many incidents you see reported. As such, to me, it makes sense to have a platform that has an initial high capacity and high capacity spare mags. While a 5-shot snubby may carry the day...it's not something I personally want to depend on. I remember one video of a home invasion with three bad guys. Woman came out of the bedroom with a revolver blasting away. All three bad guys took off and she 'won' but I also noticed that she ran dry after the initial 5-6 rounds and she was pulling the trigger on spend cases as she continued through the house. She was fortunate that her initial 'Dirty Harry' onslaught had the effect of driving them off. But it also begs the question, what if it didn't? What if they came back? What if they returned fire?

With this in mind, I have decided on the Glock platform, specifically (but not exclusively) the 19X. It has the option of a 19-round mag so that provides 20 rounds on tap. Which is substantial. After I vet my new G34.4 my plan is to make that my night stand pistol, also with a 19-round mag and have the other 19X pistols as HD pistols.

Will that level of firepower ever be needed? Hopefully not! Not a situation I want to find myself in a 3am. But it's better to make planning and preparation decisions in the light of day when you can think clearly and calmly. 3am when someone has kicked in your front door isn't the time to second guess your choices.

So again, just a mental exercise and really no wrong answers. Just tossing it out there because I was thinking about it while installing night sighs on my new G34.4 and figured it may make a good discussion thread.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Home defense vs. EDC platform

Post by David »

After posting the OP, I read this story update involving a State-wide Blue Alert I received on my cell phone last night:

The suspect involved in the Tuesday night shooting of a Taylor County Sheriff's Office (TCSO) deputy has reportedly been shot and killed after breaking into a Dixie County residence and exchanging gunfire with a homeowner, according to multiple reports.
Gregory Ryan Miedema, 33, was the subject of a statewide manhunt and a “Florida Blue Alert” issued late Tuesday night after allegedly wounding a TCSO deputy during a traffic stop.
Perry Newspapers has a reporter on scene just over the Taylor County-Dixie County line at a residence where Miedema was reportedly shot and killed after breaking into a home in Dixie County and trading gunshots with a homeowner, who reportedly suffered a wound to his shoulder.
TCSO Deputy Troy Anderson was shot three times during a traffic stop on U.S. Hwy. 19 South approximately six miles south of Salem and just north of Tennille around 10 p.m. Tuesday night, Feb 22.
Anderson was flown by helicopter to a Gainesville area hospital, where he is currently being treated for gunshot wounds to his jaw, neck and hand, according to a family member.

I add it to the thread as it is applicable to the discussion.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I was a carry gun on the nightstand guy for years. Whether it was a G26, G43, PM9, 642, etc., it went on the nightstand when I went to bed. I've never been capacity queen so 5-10rds was plenty for me. Of course, I know how to shoot any gun I carry.
When I moved the last time, I took a serious look at my gear and decided it didn't make sense to have tools and not use them. I made a permanent bedside gun out of my G17 with all the goodies. Might as well have every possible advantage.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Carry gun
Truck gun
Home gun

TEOTWAWKI gun

All different.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

My nightstand is my HK USP 9mm full size with light.
- I have no need to conceal
- I want a light
- I can't likely remove myself from Danger
- The 15 rounds are designed to get me 9ft to my Mossberg 500

My carry is a Walther PPS 9mm
- I don't have a P2000 Subkompact or a P7 - LOL
- I want comfort so that I will carry more often
- If out, my priority is to remove myself from danger
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Or to avoid danger completely.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Even better - if I need the gun at home, danger has obviously came to me.

But while the USP is a much better platform in every way, I'm not carrying that. So Walther.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:49 am But while the USP is a much better platform in every way, I'm not carrying that. So Walther.
And that is the crux of the thread right there in your statement. You're right, the USP is the better pistol. I feel the same way about either by USPc or Glock i.e. either would be the one I'd grab if the space alien-nazi-ninja-zombies attacked. The HK because it's a 3-n-1 caliber pistol and the Glock because it's combat proven to stand up to abuse. But I'll carry the P365 because it's small, comfortable and capable for any likely (or even unlikely) scenario. But since HD doesn't require carry-all-day considerations it's the 19X or more probably the G34 with 19-round mag after I vet it at the range.