Truck/trunk gun

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Truck/trunk gun

Post by David »

One of the most popular and longest running threads we had on the old board was on truck/trunk guns. So bringing back and oldie but a goodie :mrgreen:

I have a Mossy 500 set up in my car with one of those telescoping stocks and a side saddle. So that give me 7 rounds in the tube, 6 more in the side saddle and 5 on the stock. I also keep a shot-shell belt in my GHB tote with 25 additional shells. Most is 00 buck but I do have some slug in the side saddle. I keep it in a sheath. I keep it in behind the back seat in a little trough between the back seat and the storage area. The GHB tote and other items go over and in front of it so it is not visible. So it isn't designed for immediate access but is there for the 'just in case' scenario.

Note: the case in the picture is not the one currently being used. I now use a sheath/scabbard that fits quite a bit better.

Occasionally I will carry my Sub 2K in a racketball bag. It is quite a bit smaller and lighter and overall a more practical choice than the SG imo. And it is a platform I could have more immediate access to if desired. I haven't tried it but I could very probably fit it in my center console in the folded position. I would not leave it in the vehicle however unless I replaced the SG with it and it was completely out of sight. Although inside the center console is out of sight, it is also a place that would be checked first if the vehicle was broken into and it doesn't have a lock.

The vehicle is alarmed and while not the ultimate deterrent I feel comfortable with it in the driveway or at work.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Truck/trunk gun

Post by Mac66 »

I'll play...

My EDC truck gun is also a Mossberg 500 but with a conventional stock. It rides behind the rear seat of my pickup.

I had thought about carrying my Shockwave 12 ga in the truck since it's more compact than a full size shotgun but it's very uncomfortable to shoot.

During the fall I also have a 22 rifle which I carry back and forth to my hunting property. I pretty much leave it under or behind the seat as well. I have a Marlin 795 set up as a grab and go gun with survival stuff in the stock for that purpose but more recently I've been using the 10/22 pistol I made. It has a folding brace and fits into a tennis racket case.

Then there is always my Keltec SU16 which give me a little more firepower. It folds in half and uses AR mags and ammo.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 am I'll play...

My EDC truck gun is also a Mossberg 500 but with a conventional stock. It rides behind the rear seat of my pickup.

What's your load out on the 500?
I had thought about carrying my Shockwave 12 ga in the truck since it's more compact than a full size shotgun but it's very uncomfortable to shoot.
I remember you talking about the SW. Did you try any low recoil rounds out of it to see if it made a difference?
During the fall I also have a 22 rifle which I carry back and forth to my hunting property.
I think that little Henry AR7 Survival .22 rifle would be a dandy little item to toss in the vehicle.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I still have the same opinion on truck/trunk guns as before. I don't think they are a good idea.
The odds of it getting stolen are way higher than it being needed. The opportunity to get to your vehicle and access a secondary defensive weapon is something that simply isn't realistic. You need to be able to handle any situation with your carry gun.
Aside from rural animal control a long gun isn't necessary for outside-the-home defense.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:48 pm
Mac66 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 am I'll play...

What's your load out on the 500?
I remember you talking about the SW. Did you try any low recoil rounds out of it to see if it made a difference?
During the fall I also have a 22 rifle which I carry back and forth to my hunting property.
I think that little Henry AR7 Survival .22 rifle would be a dandy little item to toss in the vehicle.
For the 500 I have a stock pouch that hold 16 rounds, mostly OO buck. Another 6 rounds on exterior loops, mostly slugs.

I pretty much set the SW aside. never got around to trying low recoil rounds. Maybe come spring I'll drag it out again, or sell it.

I have an old Ar7 which I've carried stripped down (aftermarket stock) for backpacking, hiking etc. It's not as reliable as the Marlin or Ruger and in that I carry in a truck, it's not that critical that it be small and light, though it is very compact without the fat stock. It banged around in my tool box in my van for many years.

Just goes to show you that just about anything can be used as a truck/trunk gun, not necessarily for defense purposes but for utility sake. I remember visiting a neighbor up at my property who had caught a raccoon who had been tearing up his cabin. He was unarmed and didn't have a gun handy. I fetched a 22 rifle out of my truck and he dispatched the varmint.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

One of these little updated models would be neat to try out.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I carried my Ruger P97 45 in my truck for awhile. The problem is I forget where I put it then have to go looking for it. Eventually I remember it's in the truck. If I can't even remember it being in the truck It doesn't do me much good should I ever need it. It was really intended as a fall back in case I forgot my carry piece. Tried it for awhile, didn't work very well. For some reason I've never had that problem with the shotgun even though I've never needed my shotgun for anything but hunting.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have had trouble with ammo reliability in the Henry - except for CCI Min image. 100% every time!

I do not have a truck gun. If I did dedicate something I own, it would be my AR pistol. I think I'd rather have a Sub2000 or something of that nature rather than a 12g, just for round count and conceivability.

When I was a kid - a truck gun was a 30-30 on a rack in the pickup cab....
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

For awhile I carried a "paratrooper" SKS in my van with a ammo can full of ammo on stripper clips. It was short and robust, fired the ubiquitous 7.62x39 and was cheap about $80 at the time. Now days they are collectable and expensive to replace.

Shown above with a Russian SKS
David
Administrator

Post by David »

One of my Sub 2K's. For size reference, that is an Ipad mini and both the Ipad and 2K are sitting on the racket ball bag I carry the 2K in usually. It's so grey man that I could carry it down the street and no one would give it a second thought.

Interesting side note: The sticker on the Ipad is Self Reliance Illustrated which was a great magazine. It was also the discussion board that gave birth to SEP when they all went defunct.