Home Invasion

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Home Invasion

Post by David »

I think it's important to point out that home invasions actually do happen every day.

https://www.simplyinsurance.com/home-in ... tatistics/

Some excerpts from the link:

While home invasions and home burglaries are showing a decrease, some 2.5 million burglaries still happen every year in America. Of those, 1.65 million are considered home invasions. Many of these burglaries occur during the day at a rate of every 30 seconds.

According to the link, 75% of the time it would be considered a burglary and no one is home. However, conversely it means that 25% of the time someone is home i.e. home invasions i.e. over 500,000 home invasions occur when someone is home which of course would put the home owner/occupant at risk of death or great bodily harm. Hence the reason for the castle doctrine in many/most states.

A different link with similar stats:

https://securitynerd.com/home-invasion-statistics/

According to this study, 7% of the burglars/home invaders use violence that result in injury to the home owner/occupant. That's around 175,000 home owners/occupants injured annually.

A different study:

https://www.creditdonkey.com/home-invas ... stics.html

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, 1.03 million home invasions occur each year. (Source: 23 Home Invasion Statistics You Should Be Afraid Of)

3.7 million homes are broken into each year. That's 7 homes every minute. (Source: 23 Home Invasion Statistics You Should Be Afraid Of)

The DOJ reported 1 million burglaries occurred with people in the home. 27% of them became victim of a violent crime. (Source: 23 Home Invasion Statistics You Should Be Afraid Of)

Slight different stats depending on the study but the point is that home invasions occur multiple times per day. From the 'hood' to the gated community.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Home Invasion

Post by tom mac »

You can't fix stupid !
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

I was listening to a podcast a few months back and this subject came up. One of the people was stating that his EDC stays on all day, the other ones were considering staging firearms in different places with in the home. I am thinking of a bit of both. As sometimes as an example when working on the car it is a PITA to climb under a car a few times wearing a firearm.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

First, I had to think about what constitutes a home invasion.

1. burglaries
Most home burglaries are done by truant male students, friends of your kids, the neighborhood kids. Most entrances are made through an unlocked back door. That is the generality.
I am aware of follow home holdups. Dramatic, but rare.
Gang invasions. Usually undertaken against drug dealers. There are rare exceptions like going to the wrong house or a former house.
My situation was different from most people. Widowed with a small child who I raised alone. Under those circumstances, no firearms. Home was secured down to bedrooms having two kinds of deadbolts - key from the inside to allow to get out. Key on both sides when totally gone away for more than a day. Lights, timers, motion detectors. Protection was defensive fixed blades on coat hooks, steel pipes. Yes, the house was burglarized by a kid in the neighborhood. Nothing of value was out. No guns taken.

2. My car has been burglarized multiple times over the years - at work, parked underground, at home, at auto repair shop. Enhancements like locking items to the frame of the car only slow people down. The one way I saw of absolutely preventing theft from a vehicle was in a class. The guy was driving a pick up truck with a false bottom. He bought it commercially. Two long locked cabinets concealed under the fake pickup truck bed. Ammo in one cabinet and an arsenal in the other cabinet. Like 5-6 long guns.

There is no perfect solution and one size does not fit all. I live on a dead end street in a "good neighborhood". The guy next door has been burglarized twice - things like computers. No motion detectors, no fence, never locks the house, no screen door on the front door. Woman two doors down had an elaborate alarm system. Failed to put it on one morning when she went to grocery store. Burglar was problem one of the people she hired from time to time. Her gun was taken.

I have two different workmen coming on Saturday. I will be here the whole time. The headache is moving stuff to a locked garage if and when the painting crew comes.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I have two different workmen coming on Saturday. I will be here the whole time. The headache is moving stuff to a locked garage if and when the painting crew comes.

Well, agree... I never let workman in my home unsupervised.
And try to put some items away before hand. :)
You can't fix stupid !