Teaching a CPL class

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Mac66
Board Founder

Teaching a CPL class

Post by Mac66 »

I'm teaching a Concealed Pistol License class on Sunday. My son lives on the other side of the state with his wife. His in-laws live close by. My wife and I are visiting to go to a football game at my alma mater on Saturday (Grand Valley St. Univ who are undefeated and ranked #1 in the country in division II). We get together with some former teammates I played with in the 1970s a couple times a year.

Anyway...his wife, wife's parents, sister and her fiance all want to get CPLs. I'm certified to teach the class so agreed to do it for them. Been a few years since I taught the class as I only do it for family. In Michigan the class in based on the NRA Personal Protection in the Home class. PPITH has little to do with concealed carry but was chosen as the minimum to meet the requirement.

Besides the class you are required to fire 30 rounds at the range. I know the sister's fiance just bought a handgun this summer, I don't think any of the others own handguns, though the father in law owns a rifle and shotgun. I plan to use my Taurus TX22 and Keltec P17s (I have 2 of each) to teach them to shoot and meet the requirements. I then have other caliber guns for them to try.

Should be interesting to see how they do. My wife is also coming along to take the class again. She did it a few years ago but never went and got her CPL. The last time I checked it cost $130. $100 for the CPL and $30 for fingerprints at your local police/sheriff's dept. That's over and above what you would pay for the class. Most CPL classes run $100-125.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Teaching a CPL class

Post by Bmyers »

I wish our licenses was that cheap. $10 for the FOID. $150 for the licenses. You have the option to do fingerprints currently (they are working on changing that). Plus the cost of the 16 hour class. Then every 5 years you get the pleasure of renewing and going through a 4 hour class and paying another $150 for your licenses. Of course you have the cost of the class to add in.

If they made people go through a similar process to vote and pay all the fees, I might not be so salty about it all.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:47 am I wish our licenses was that cheap. $10 for the FOID. $150 for the licenses. You have the option to do fingerprints currently (they are working on changing that). Plus the cost of the 16 hour class. Then every 5 years you get the pleasure of renewing and going through a 4 hour class and paying another $150 for your licenses. Of course you have the cost of the class to add in.

If they made people go through a similar process to vote and pay all the fees, I might not be so salty about it all.
Our CPLs are good for 5 years. Renewal is $60. To renewal you have to either take a 4 hour class or...go to the range and shoot 30 rounds and sign an on line affidavit that you did. No more fingerprints. You then send your money by charge card online. It can be done entirely by computer.

I suppose there are still some people who pay for a renewal class. Usually about $50.

There was a movement a couple years ago to get the whole process down to $30. After all why are we paying extra for something (staff and equipment) that is already provided by tax money? It should be free. I call the license fee "infringement tax".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

CC Renewals for LEO/retired is free every 5... but the LEOSA cost $50 per year to allow same carry and extended mags ( in home state ) if wanted.
( ny has a every 3 yr training requirement for extended mags on guns had while working )

But now with NY, re the latest rulings, people are changing from target class ( most common ) to carry. The 16 hr classes required are hitting $800 !

NY is the commie state for guns :)
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

The class is done. Everybody did well (must be due to good instruction) and passed the course/test. Now they can all apply for their CPLs.

We used the Taurus Tx22s and Keltec P17s to shoot the course of fire. Then I gave them all a chance to shoot some of the other guns, Glock 17,19,22, XD9, Ruger LC9s, Taurus G2c and/or G3c,Ruger LCP, S&W 380 shield just to get an idea of what shooting compact and full size 9s/40s/380s felt like. My son had some of his tactical optic pistols available to shoot as well. Universally the woman really liked the S&W 380. It was accurate and mild shooting. Nice size pistol.

The guys mostly liked the G19. Nearly all shot as well with the 9mms as with the 22s so there is some benefit using the 22s. Kinda interesting that some of the women preferred the TX22s over the P17. One of the guys liked the P17 better.

Only the fiance' currently has a pistol (a Palmetto Armory Dagger ie. glock clone). It will be interesting to see what the others end up with. Whether they get 22s, 380s or 9mms, or something else. I recommended also getting a 22 to practice with and to emulate the centerfire pistol they choose. Glock 44 if they chose a Glock, Sig P322 if they get a sig, M&P 22 if they get a S&W etc, etc.

My son had done a 2 day tactical handgun class run by Haley Strategic, Travis Haley's outfit in Sept. Something like 300-400 rounds. Other than what I've taught him I believe that was the first handgun class he's ever taken. Now he's Mr. Uber Tactical, got all the gear and fancy optic mounted pistols and such. But he was a big help running the line even if he did go tactical on me a couple times. This was very basic, fundamental class with some who had never shot before. He was eager to share his training which I had to reign in a couple of times.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Glad the class went well.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:02 pm Glad the class went well.
I enjoy teaching and wish I could do more, but the liability is such I can't really do it except for close family. I taught Project Appleseed (rifle shooting) for 5 or 6 years but the state coordinator was kind of an A-hole who caused a lot of dissension between the various instructor groups in the state. I loved the organization and teaching the classes, hated the internal politics so I walked away from it. I miss the teaching part.