Trump to nominate Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court: sources

The place to gather and chat about any and all topics not covered elsewhere on the board.
David
Administrator

Re: Trump to nominate Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court: sources

Post by David »

I hope/pray that it goes smoothly and she is confirmed without issue and on the bench soon. And I pray for her and her families safety.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I was thinking about her family also, I pray that they are safe.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I'm not sure if Justice's have any sort of protection so I performed a little googlefu.
Their protection is provided by the Supreme Court Police, one of the smallest federal agencies.

The Supreme Court Police is lead by the Marshal of the United States Supreme Court. The duties of the Marshal are similar to the court officer aspects of the United States Marshal in any of the 94 United States judicial court districts. This said, This Marshal has no association with the United States Marshals Service. In the history of the position (created in 1867), there have been ten Marshals. By statute, the Marshal is appointed by the Supreme Court and serves at their discretion.

The force itself, currently numbering about 125, is responsible for security of the court building, its inhabitants, and it visitors. Additionally, they provide personal protection to the Justices at all times. In many ways, their mission, training, and authority is similar to that of the judicial security role of the United States Marshals Service. I would fully expect that a large number of the members of this force have been cross-deputized by the Marshals Service to increase their authority and jurisdiction.
Apparently however, they don't have to have 24/7 protection if they don't want it.
When Justice David Souter was mugged while jogging in 2004, commentators questioned why his protective detail hadn't been present. Members of the Police explained that Justices prefer to rely on their relative anonymity for protection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_Police
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

ACB got it, 52 to 48. The left was very dramatic about it.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I watched and couldn't believe these representatives of the US people behaved like little children (I mean no disrespect to the children). The Dems were told in 2013 by Senator McConnell that the Dems move to lower the count from 60 to a simple majority would come back to get them.

Last night, it came back and got them and the Dems were whining about it.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Simple Majority is THE worst way to make decisions about anything important. I'm a business consultant. If I ran an improvement team based on that nothing would ever get done effectively. Just like our Gover - D'oh!!!!