What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2020

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2020

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:27 am Did you go through a developer/buildier i.e, someone who already had the land set up as lots with models to choose (kind of like in a subdivison) or did you just find the land and then found a house model to build?
We are going through a builder in a pre-existing subdivision.

We've been in our home for 20 years as of the 29th of this month, and we love our home. But we made the decision to move to a bigger home, sort of a retirement present to ourselves I guess. So we started looking at homes in the area that were already built. Then we started looking at buying some property and getting a builder. While we were doing that we were looking at model homes to get ideas. We looked at dozens of different homes and then saw the model for the one we ended up buying. It was like five minutes to 6pm and they were closing up. We dashed through the model and loved it, ended up going the next day for a longer look. They had just opened up some land in an entirely new section that weekend so we were able to get the cream of the crop in lot location as far as I'm concerned. So after some discussion we decided to buy.

It was actually a good compromise for the wife and I. She's a people-person and loves to have close neighbors (she comes from a huge family). I'd be just as happy on 5 acres in the woods. Well, best of both worlds for us. She has the neighbors and the woods and wildlife are a short walk from the house, we're actually surrounded by woods and wetlands on three sides of the area where we're building. Plus we're very close to family living in the area.

The subdivision has over 20 miles of hiking trails. They are opening up a huge trail in our section that goes way back into the woods. Plus a bike ride away we have two pools, gym, cafe and club house as well as parks and fitness stations. All in the neighborhood. So that's the plan.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:40 am
Mac66 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:27 am Did you go through a developer/buildier i.e, someone who already had the land set up as lots with models to choose (kind of like in a subdivison) or did you just find the land and then found a house model to build?
We are going through a builder in a pre-existing subdivision.

We've been in our home for 20 years as of the 29th of this month, and we love our home. But we made the decision to move to a bigger home, sort of a retirement present to ourselves I guess. So we started looking at homes in the area that were already built. Then we started looking at buying some property and getting a builder. While we were doing that we were looking at model homes to get ideas. We looked at dozens of different homes and then saw the model for the one we ended up buying. It was like five minutes to 6pm and they were closing up. We dashed through the model and loved it, ended up going the next day for a longer look. They had just opened up some land in an entirely new section that weekend so we were able to get the cream of the crop in lot location as far as I'm concerned. So after some discussion we decided to buy.

It was actually a good compromise for the wife and I. She's a people-person and loves to have close neighbors (she comes from a huge family). I'd be just as happy on 5 acres in the woods. Well, best of both worlds for us. She has the neighbors and the woods and wildlife are a short walk from the house, we're actually surrounded by woods and wetlands on three sides of the area where we're building. Plus we're very close to family living in the area.

The subdivision has over 20 miles of hiking trails. They are opening up a huge trail in our section that goes way back into the woods. Plus a bike ride away we have two pools, gym, cafe and club house as well as parks and fitness stations. All in the neighborhood. So that's the plan.
Sounds like a great place to build.

We're downsizing with our new house. Probably won't move/sell our current house while my mother and my wife's parents are still alive. They're all in their 90s. We've also taken over the In-laws house in The Villages so that's where we'll spend the winters eventually as well.

So our plan is to move into the new house eventually, travel in our RV as much as we can while still healthy and spend the winters at The Villages.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

We love the home we're in now but have outgrown it a bit. My wife's sister lives with us as well as my son. In my wife's culture the kids don't move out until they get married, and we aren't in a big hurry for him to move out anyway. He's a cool kid :)

So we needed some more space and felt it was a wise investment. We'll keep our current home and rent it out. It's been paid for for around a decade.

If you're in the villages during the winter we need to get together. The new home will be about 15 minutes from I-75 which puts the Villages only about an hour and a half away.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:35 pm We love the home we're in now but have outgrown it a bit. My wife's sister lives with us as well as my son. In my wife's culture the kids don't move out until they get married, and we aren't in a big hurry for him to move out anyway. He's a cool kid :)

So we needed some more space and felt it was a wise investment. We'll keep our current home and rent it out. It's been paid for for around a decade.

If you're in the villages during the winter we need to get together. The new home will be about 15 minutes from I-75 which puts the Villages only about an hour and a half away.
Sounds like a plan.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Upped my food preps, and a gun light!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

And food preps upped again!!!

MRE's on the way. I'll use them camping eventually.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Found a couple cases of baby wipes and surprise a gallon of lysol concentrate.

Have been able to mix up a diluted amount of lysol liquid and then pour into the baby wipe container making a disinfection wipe ( non-flushable ).
Wife is big on this and have been unable to buy them around here still.
As a plus the unconverted are still baby wipes until needed to add to the personal hygiene supplies.

Was able to get a brick of primers from a friend... always good to get them for reloading supplies... don't do 9mm but may start to.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

MOVED TO THE SHELTER FORUM

More baby steps with the house.

The trusses for the front porch were delivered. The front porch will be 14' long 8'wide and will be covered. There will also be a covered porch running the whole width of the house at the right end (of the photo).

Just heard the house (it's modular) will be delivered in two pieces on Monday Sept 21 and placed on the foundation on Wed the 23rd. There is a laundry list of things to do to get it livable.

The garage floor and skirting needs to be poured. The garage and front porch built. The well needs to be sunk and hooked into the house as well as the electric run to the pole, then run underground to the house and hooked in. We are also putting in a long gravel driveway. Then the whole thing needs to be inspected and approved for habitation. We're still hoping that it will be ready by the opening of firearm deer season on Nov 15.
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Nice. I like porches like that and it will give you plenty of room for sitting out and enjoying nature. It's exiting isn't it!

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Stocks for "basics" increasing
- Powdered Milk
- Creamer
- Sugar
- Salt

It isn't sexy....but it is important!