Inflation and PM's

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Inflation and PM's

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've been saving up for a new car recently after a deer committed suicide in front of my last one.
With the market so messed up, I'm not in any hurry to buy. I have a vehicle to drive for as long as needed so I can wait out the market.
With a pocket full of money and nothing to spend it on, I figured a relatively short term investment would be a decent idea. I first looked at CDs, but they are only offering 0.05% currently! That's not even worth looking into. If I wanted to borrow $20k, they'd certainly expect more interest on my end.
I figured some gold or silver could be a good short term play since they should be rising with inflation. I was surprised to see that they are the same or lower than they've been in recent years. Isn't that unusual after 18 months of heavy inflation? I always thought PM's went up with inflation.
What do you folks think?
David
Administrator

Re: Inflation and PM's

Post by David »

I am not a financial advisor. Having said that I have been hearing chatter for the last several years that PM are going to go very high, particularly silver because of it’s prolific use in various industries like medical equipment.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

David wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:07 pm I am not a financial advisor. Having said that I have been hearing chatter for the last several years that PM are going to go very high, particularly silver because of it’s prolific use in various industries like medical equipment.
That's been the general sentiment for a while. Odd that it's down several bucks in the last few years.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

That tells me it’s time to jump in with both feet.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I don't think Silver is a bad buy long term at most any price.

FYI - a "No recession is actually coming" indicator (or at least not the financial armageddon people chat of...) is that Gold/silver have been pretty stable. Big finance is not moving into them en masse. That will drive prices up fast.