Lever action for prepping

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Lever action for prepping

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Lever action for prepping

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Col. Jeff Cooper recommended lever actions as an alternative HD weapon in states which restricted semi autos. That was a two or three decades ago. The key to self/home defense is to have a gun, any gun. Lever actions will do nicely.

Will they work? Yes.

Are they your best choice? Since bolt actions supplanted lever guns at the end of the 19th century and semi autos supplanted bolt guns in the 20th there is no real reason to choose a lever gun as your primary unless you are forced to by legislation.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I like a good lever action in a common caliper I carry as a pistol....
the 38/357 or 44s/44mag is a good combo.

If they only made it in a 10mm ! ( they do but it's 2k plus donor rifle )

edit : they no longer do
You can't fix stupid !
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

There's not much you can't do with a good lever gun. If I was restricted or more focused on a specific caliber, I'd gladly have one. I agree with Tom Mac that a 357 or 44 would be about ideal. Common caliber with sidearm, higher capacity than longer cartridges, and plenty of power for anything walking. If I ever find a donor gun, my 77/357 bolt gun will do most of these things too.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

16 rounds of .357 coming at you. And fast, too.

Plus - likely to not be banned for a long, long time...

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:38 am Col. Jeff Cooper recommended lever actions as an alternative HD weapon in states which restricted semi autos. That was a two or three decades ago.

Are they your best choice? Since bolt actions supplanted lever guns at the end of the 19th century and semi autos supplanted bolt guns in the 20th there is no real reason to choose a lever gun as your primary unless you are forced to by legislation.
I disagree with this completely. There is no way you can shoot or handle a bolt action gun as fast/easy as I can a Lever action.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bob wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:05 pm
Mac66 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:38 am Col. Jeff Cooper recommended lever actions as an alternative HD weapon in states which restricted semi autos. That was a two or three decades ago.

I disagree with this completely. There is no way you can shoot or handle a bolt action gun as fast/easy as I can a Lever action.
I think you missed my point. My point was as long as more modern technology is available (semi autos vs. lever guns) you're better off with the modern technology.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Oh - agree with that.

But when semi-auto is not available...I have pump and lever to fall back on.
xxo

Post by xxo »

Some of the old military bolt guns are not so slow if ya know how to run 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_a7pXWi6xo