DIY

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Strayz

DIY

Post by Strayz »

So, not really something I chat about a lot but from time to time I get in the mood to assemble a p 8 0 glock from parts and what have ya.

This last winter I kinda went on a try and use up all the spare parts of different things, traded off some parts got enough parts to put a few things together. So I built a few, I had a few slides laying around and a few p 8 0 frames as well. Then came the orders from around the web... And Now I have a few plus.

There seems to be a few different camps out there.
1. It is not factory so it will never be like the original. Don't want them don't like them stay away or I might get your contagion and start buying them.
2. Fun to shoot but I would not trust my life on it.
3. I trust it to guard my life with it.
4. You mean you don't have 20 of them yet?

I feel that I fall in the middle of 2 and 3 in camps, I have one that goes bang all the time, every time and shoots better than my glock. Well they are all just as accurate as my factory glock. One just seems to stand out from the pack.

One of the nice things is if you are looking to put a custom gun together you don't have to buy the host and save yourself $600 to start with.

I really don't know why they are so addictive in assembling them. (Not building them) I feel like the 1911 I have built was a lot more satisfying than any variation or combo of glocks. I think they are so quick to get finished they are like tater chips you just can't do one.

I will say that Building a 1911 teaches you how to strip and reassemble a 1911 up and down, like a lot. P 8 0's on the other hand are generally done in an afternoon of faster.

Anyhow enough rambling about What is your opinion now that it is a hot button about Ghost guns ect.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Re: DIY

Post by David »

I admit this is any area I'm not at all well versed in. PIcs would be great. Standing on the outside looking in my first impression is that it has value in that you've done it yourself and know how to do it. That's kinda cool.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I never paid much attention to them. Not sure about current pricing, but they used to be more than a factory gun for all the pieces. Now with some of the aftermarket parts I put in mine, it may be a wash financially to just buy them first with the P80.
I know the milling is supposed to be super easy with the included jig, but there are plenty of videos and threads about non-working P80s. Didn't seem worth the hassle to me.
The "ghost gun" idea is useless to me because I know how the firearms industry actually works.

I'd be between 2 & 3 if I had one. No doubt they're fun to shoot and, if it ran, I'd trust it for defense.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

By 'ghost gun', is that where .gov doesn't know the weapon exists? Doesn't know you own it?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

David wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:27 pm I admit this is any area I'm not at all well versed in. PIcs would be great. Standing on the outside looking in my first impression is that it has value in that you've done it yourself and know how to do it. That's kinda cool.
I do not recall ever taking pictures other than when finished and I am kinda ok with it.

In answer to your second question. Only records are created in purchasing something from one of many supply sources.
Yes they are in layman's terms Undocumented putting of parts together.

Brownells is my go to for most of the parts, Midway, and then I start shopping the more specialized places to get all of the "Fancy" high speed parts.

So to those that are wondering this Youtuber can walk you through the entire process. He is a bit hyper focused so take everything he says with a grain of salt. He also brings it down so anyone with some tools and time can produce some good results he also works with the community for those that have problems getting fit and function to work correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MarineGunBuilder/videos

Check out his forums and other resources.
https://www.marinegunbuilder.com/forum
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:03 am I never paid much attention to them. Not sure about current pricing, but they used to be more than a factory gun for all the pieces. Now with some of the aftermarket parts I put in mine, it may be a wash financially to just buy them first with the P80.
I know the milling is supposed to be super easy with the included jig, but there are plenty of videos and threads about non-working P80s. Didn't seem worth the hassle to me.
The "ghost gun" idea is useless to me because I know how the firearms industry actually works.

I'd be between 2 & 3 if I had one. No doubt they're fun to shoot and, if it ran, I'd trust it for defense.
The pricing. Most of long ago pricing was more due to having to have a host gun to start with and then go from there. Strip the parts off of a pre existing glock and then put them in the P80 Frame.

I have a supper cheep build that I did as my first one. It was around $400.00

Most of mine land in the 600 to 800 plus optics price range.

Now before you say it. My complete custom frame color, Slide by Zev and matching barrel, Drop in custom trigger and polished up internals was just over 800. and I did not need to buy a 400-600.00 host before. I kinda went a little off the deep end but hey I had the time and parts. I do ask if you had all the same parts put in and bought the completed firearm at a dealer how much would a zev custom cost you? about $1700.00 and a 3-5 month wait. So I think I am doing good on my end.

One of the few complaints people have is finding the parts all at one supplier and that can be a probem but if you are buying them here and there and not in a hurry, watch for sales. You can easily beat a factory cost and get a better product. IMO. Your quality and faith in your build is your decision to make. Again Midway, and Brownells are the starting places.

Another neat thing is that Both Midway and Brownells have exclusives. Midway has the compact long frame (G19 frame set to use a G17 slide.) and Brownells has a product line that has "Aggressive Texturing." Brownells also makes there own barrels and slides for sale under their house brand.

Building your own will take a bit of time to get the parts. The results can be outstanding though.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I built a p80 frame a few years ago. It is a first generation frame. I use my g22 slide and 9mm conversion BBL on it. I bought it on sale so it was fairly inexpensive. I intended to do another 19 sized one but never got around to it.