WWII 1911 .45 training video

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

WWII 1911 .45 training video

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: WWII 1911 .45 training video

Post by Ronin.45 »

It's always interesting to see how little was known about pistol shooting back then. Watching the instructor miss a bunch of shots in the demonstration shows how far we've come in our understanding of body mechanics.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I'm curious what kind of ammo they were using in this video? You can actually see the bullet traveling tot the target which is cool.

I hate to admit it, but out of all the guns I've had/shot over the years I've never shot a 1911. :o

I'd like to though and would like to own one. And I'll readily admit that I don't know a lot about them. What's good, what's bad, what to look for, what to avoid. What is a good, solid but inexpensive brand that is reliable?

Darn...now I'm getting an itch for a 1911 :lol:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Nearly 50 years ago, I participated in the Southwest Pistol League. Guys were shooting .45 autos with scopes! You don't need that.

Some people change out triggers, put on aftermarket sights. You don't need that.

Here is what you need to know or do:
1. how to disassemble and clean;
2. research and buy only highly rated magazines. This is the item that fails most often.
3. separate magazines into regular carry, practice and shtf.
shoot one magazine load only through the shtf magazines to make sure they function. Load to capacity and leave alone until shtf.
do not use the carry magazines in practice. periodically disassemble and clean.
beat the h-ll out of the practice magazines and have spare parts on hand.
4. buy a decent holster.
5. if your range allows it, shoot only white box ammo. your skill level is critical. not the ammo. a dunce of an instructor once said that a .45 auto is inaccurate past 25 yards. Really? If he had stood at 300 yards, I would have hit him repeatedly. You do NOT need need super loads, max loads, defensive loads, reloads. Just get white box and keep life simple.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:13 pm I would have hit him repeatedly. You do NOT need need super loads, max loads, defensive loads, reloads. Just get white box and keep life simple.
Not a bad idea. After all, they all fall to ball. :D

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:55 pm I'm curious what kind of ammo they were using in this video? You can actually see the bullet traveling tot the target which is cool.

I hate to admit it, but out of all the guns I've had/shot over the years I've never shot a 1911. :o

I'd like to though and would like to own one. And I'll readily admit that I don't know a lot about them. What's good, what's bad, what to look for, what to avoid. What is a good, solid but inexpensive brand that is reliable?

Darn...now I'm getting an itch for a 1911 :lol:
At one time I had a handful of 1911s most of which I built to shoot IPSC. I eventually scaled back and only have a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup National Match and a Charles Daly imported by KBI from the Philippines left.

I used the GC in IPSC for a couple years once I swapped out the recoil spring, added a beavertail safety, extended slide release and thumb safety and a commander hammer. It was very accurate. I've since returned it to stock condition due to it's collectability. It's been so long since I've shot it I don't even have a photo of it.

The CD came with all those things at a fraction of the price. I picked it up in the 80s maybe 90s because I wanted to have a 1911 to carry once in awhile.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Isn't Rock Island suppose to be a decent econo-brand 1911?

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:26 am Isn't Rock Island suppose to be a decent econo-brand 1911?
I was going to mention Rock Island. I think they are made in the Philippines by the same company that used to make the CD. Names change over the years depending on who imports them.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:26 am Isn't Rock Island suppose to be a decent econo-brand 1911?
I was going to mention Rock Island. I think they are made in the Philippines by the same company that used to make the Charles Daly. Names change over the years depending on who imports them.

Another budget 1911 is the SDS made in Turkey. They get favorable reviews

https://www.sdsimports.com/category-s/430118639.htm

As does the TISAS

http://www.trabzonsilah.com/en/series/zig-m-1911
xxo

Post by xxo »

David wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:55 pm I'm curious what kind of ammo they were using in this video? You can actually see the bullet traveling tot the target which is cool.
They're shooting tracers.