Night stand pistols

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Night stand pistols

Post by David »

I'm thinking about a change up in my night stand role. At one time I had my G22.4 in that role. 16 rounds of 180 grain JHP seemed like a pretty solid choice for that role. About a year and a half ago (or a bit more) I changed over to the Glock 19X for 20 rounds of 124+P on tap for those bump-in-the-night scenarios. Seemed like a solid decision.

However, I'm thinking about switching back to the G22. Basically, I have several pistols staged around the house. They're hidden and secure but easily accessible for a family member that knows they're there. Basically, one pistol in each main room. No, not worried about ninjas popping out of the wood work. Basically for the wife since there are times she can't travel far very quickly. So having a pistol on the other end of the house from where she might be just wouldn't work well for her in an emergency. So now we have something she (and family in the know) can access quickly and within a few steps of anywhere you might be in the house. I've settled on Glock for the HD role due to it's point-n-shoot simplicity. As such, I have four 9mm models (2x19X, 19.5FS and 26.4) and the one G22.4 (with a 9mm conversion barrel but that's tucked away in the safe).

While she 'could' shoot the 40 S&W in a pinch, she would be more comfortable with a 9mm. So I'm thinking about both the 19X pistols in the two main areas with the 19 and 26 in the den and back room. This puts a high capacity 9mm (either 20 rounds in the main areas of the house or 16 rounds in the secondary areas) at four key points of the house (and also thinking of the layout of the new house) so that she again has much easier access to a firearm regardless of where she might be in the home.

She decided she liked and wanted the Taurus G3 for her night stand pistol which gives her 17+1 in that location. This leaves the G22 mainly for me as a night stand pistol. And of course we both have 9mm PCC in our bedroom should aliens ever invade the neighborhood.

Just thinking out loud I suppose.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Night stand pistols

Post by Ronin.45 »

Kind of a non-issue really. Most of the guns are functionally interchangeable so it doesn't really make a difference which is where. Having the one oddball in the nightstand probably wouldn't be my choice, but it's not a big deal. Any of them will get the job done.
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

My bedroom pistol is a Glock 17L and the choice was pretty simple for me.
My wife doesn't shoot much and she shoots her Glock 9mm pistols more than any other pistol and she's pretty proficient with it. Among 9mm Glock pistols she can shoot the longer 17L better and faster than any other model. The Winchester 127gr JHP +P+ ammo gets 1,320 fps from the longer barrel and gives similar performance to the Federal 357 magnum 125gr JHP ammo. The pistol has no modifications done to it other than addition of tritium night sights, Streamlight TLR-1 and Glock mags with extended floor plate to increase the capacity to 19 rounds.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

as it always has been....

HK USP 9mm, 15 rds 124+p Federal HST
TLR-1
Extra Mag

That has to get me to my closet and them I'm coming out with a long gun. It's about 8ft from bed to rack.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:57 am Having the one oddball in the nightstand probably wouldn't be my choice, but it's not a big deal. Any of them will get the job done.
That's actually why I was thinking about having the one 40 S&W take the night stand role. Although I'm sure my wife could handle it in a pinch (It's not like it's a 44 magnum), the majority of pistols she'd likely use in a HD situation would be 9mm. She's more use to 380acp and 9mm than any other caliber. I'm fine with any of them so the G22 being my primary for bed side makes sense (at least too me, lol). Only downside is that it doesn't share mags with the Sub 2K's. But then I really can't envision a realistic scenario where I'm going to need to interchange pistol and PCC mags anyway so it's likely a moot point to be concerned with.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I have a magnetic holder behind my night stand which holds a simple .38
Very handy to get at and my normal carry gun is close enough after.
You can't fix stupid !
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Dave, I think you'll be fine without compatible mags for the bedside gun. Needing a reload, second gun, or sharing mags is highly unlikely. I've always believed you better be able to solve the problem with the gun you have. Fighting to a better gun is unrealistic.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:49 pm Dave, I think you'll be fine without compatible mags for the bedside gun. Needing a reload, second gun, or sharing mags is highly unlikely. I've always believed you better be able to solve the problem with the gun you have. Fighting to a better gun is unrealistic.
I agree. If you're in a situation where you have to reload (during the fight) or get to another firearm...you're in one heck of a firefight :lol:

ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

My nightstand pistol is a Glock 22.3. It wears an Insight M3X light and has a mag with a +2 baseplate for extended unpleasant social interactions. It has been doing this duty in this configuration for 14 years. I am considering a shift to my 23.4 in this role and I'd get a new light for it. I have one of the x-grip type mag adapters for a 22 to 23 mag so I would run the same mag setup. Eventually I'll get a conversion barrel to run 9mm in the 23 but not until the ammo madness abates.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

cityfarmer wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:13 pm My bedroom pistol is a Glock 17L and the choice was pretty simple for me.
My wife doesn't shoot much and she shoots her Glock 9mm pistols more than any other pistol and she's pretty proficient with it. Among 9mm Glock pistols she can shoot the longer 17L better and faster than any other model. The Winchester 127gr JHP +P+ ammo gets 1,320 fps from the longer barrel and gives similar performance to the Federal 357 magnum 125gr JHP ammo. The pistol has no modifications done to it other than addition of tritium night sights, Streamlight TLR-1 and Glock mags with extended floor plate to increase the capacity to 19 rounds.
My nightstand gun for a while was my Gen 3 G24. Six inch barrel with Winchester Rnager SXT 180gr. .40 S&W was no laughing matter.

But since I now have a rugrat running around the house, my nightstand gun is whatever I'm carrying during the day. So for a while it was my agency issued Gen 4 G17 or G43. Now it is usually my Gen 4 G22.