Glock thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Glock thread

Post by Bob »

David wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:26 am
Bob wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:47 pm Any issues/comments on a Glock G17 Gen 4?

Project Gun...
It's a good platform. What are you planning on doing with it?
Just replacing parts, painting the slide or frame. It's for my Zombie Go BAg
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Example of a Glock 17 reaching 350k rounds.
Clean the barrel and relube the gun after every match. Replaced the RSA 9 times and the firing pin spring 5 times in that many miles. Complete detail clean once a year. Unschedueled maintainace: replaced the extractor around 200K, just plain wore out the claw. Broke off the slide lock tab around 100K. Cracked a slide by running over 25K of +P (125gr chrono'd about 1,270 fps).
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I like the +P comment. Shows how resilient most guns are to it.

I'd like to channel the funds into another Glock, but right now an AK is a higher priority.
Erich

Post by Erich »

I've had to replace the slide lock (spring broke) on a G17. It's good to pick up some spare parts to keep around, but the gun itself should outlive anyone here due to the simplicity/durability and ability to exchange parts so readily.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

The simplicity is one of the reasons I recommend them. All the other modern combat pistols are much more complicated inside. Little mousetrap springs and connecting rods. A Glock can be detail stripped and maintained by a chimpanzee.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Went to Glock armorer's class... they are very easy to maintain. ( even tho not a chimp :) )
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I have to agree, the simplicity of repair/maintenance is one of the things that helped me decided to make Glock my choice.

I have all the spare parts for a Glock 19 that I could replace everything that could break on the gun twice. Plus, I have spare mag springs.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:18 am Went to Glock armorer's class... they are very easy to maintain. ( even tho not a chimp :) )
I've never been to their armorer course, but that actually would be a pretty good idea. I wonder if they have any in Florida or if you have to travel to Georgia? Either way is fine, Georgia isn't all that far away.

What did the course entail? Was it one day or multi-day? Do you need to bring your own Glock?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

It is a one day class.... IMO, well worth the cost.
When I went, they supplied the guns and a goodie bag at end.

https://glocktraining.com/files/AC_Course.pdf
https://glocktraining.com/Schedule.aspx

There are 2 pages of Fla.
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Thank you :)