Coffee

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Coffee

Post by Mac66 »

Back when I was working I used to drink 6-8 cups of coffee a day. I had a high stress job that was killing me. After I retired I cut back to 2 cup (mugs) day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon around 2-3 pm. It's either that or I'd have to take a nap. I'm old but I've never been much of a nap person.

So I went up to my cabin on Tuesday morning to cut wood and do some shooting. Forgot to bring coffee. Digging around in my supplies I keep there I found a jar of instant coffee. Been living on it ever since. Not initially a big fan but have gotten used to it. Yeah I could go into town and buy some real coffee but it's a good lesson and a good fall back plan.

I've decided that while I can live without a lot of things in the apocalypse coffee ain't one of them. Gonna have to buy a case or two of instant coffee to stash away.

Oh, and whiskey. Ran out of whiskey.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Coffee

Post by tom mac »

That's a real hardship !

Freeze dried coffee seems to store well ( instant ), I tested some 9 yrs old and it was fine ( unopened ) tho weak ( use to a perk pot coffee ) ... so I bought a bunch more for the shelf.
Regular ground coffee in the large costco containers seem good after 1 yr unopened, but due to oils , not sure of long term.
anyone long term coffee?

Whisky lasts till I drink it.... since the stores have been open, I put away 4 bottles of Jameson ( no price gouging here ) which will rotate.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I was drinking freeze dried which was at least 5 years old (unopened). I think that's the way to go for long term storage. The jar said it makes "up to" 120 6 oz cups. I don't know anyone who drinks 6 oz cups of coffee which are equivalent to those small Styrofoam cups. Most coffee cups are 10 oz and some 12 oz. I drink two 10 oz cups a day which is equivalent to 3 6 oz cups + 2 oz. Doing the math figures out that one jar would keep me caffeinated for 36.7 days.

So I would need about 10 jars for a year at normal consumption. Figure one would probably ration down to maybe one cup a day during an apocalypse or better yet, quit altogether.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:36 pm Oh, and whiskey. Ran out of whiskey.
Then what are you making the instant coffee with?
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Bob wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:24 pm
Mac66 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:36 pm Oh, and whiskey. Ran out of whiskey.
Then what are you making the instant coffee with?

There is a coffee thread in the food forum.