What could your EDC/GEB do for you if needed?

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
David
Administrator

What could your EDC/GEB do for you if needed?

Post by David »

Your normal EDC and/or GHB...what could it do for you?

If you found yourself in a situation, what could you realistically do to mitigate the dangers of that situation with the gear you've put together? Or maybe an equally good question, as you think through the question, what holes do you have in your plan?

The situation could be that your vehicle becomes inoperative miles from civilization for any of a number or reasons. Mechanical failure, flat tire (and the spare is also flat), EMP took out the vehicle, roads are blocked and impassable (natural disaster like a fire, avalanche, mud slide, washed out or man-made like social unrest) or anything that makes the vehicle or road unusable.

What do you have on your person or in your vehicle (on a normal basis) that would help you and anyone with you to survive?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: What could your EDC/GEB do for you if needed?

Post by Ronin.45 »

I'm still a novice prepper when it comes to things like this. I don't think there's a normal situation I'm not prepared for with just a cellphone. I don't travel more than 10-15 miles from home and a half mile from civilization on my normal routes. I have the tools and know-how to change a tire, but I wouldn't do it unless it was absolutely necessary. I'm too crippled and lazy to mess with it when my insurance covers it. If the car breaks down I'll have it towed and get a ride home.
I have no need for most of the "survival" items I carry. I'm never going to start a fire for survival, but I still carry a lighter.
My most important prepping items are a flashlight and a gun. I'm in the dark all the time and even though a violent encounter is unlikely, I'm more likely to be mugged than stuck in the woods building a shelter.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

What do you have on your person or in your vehicle (on a normal basis) that would help you and anyone with you to survive?

I have enough gear to go earth, in place, for 7 days. Today, I calculated that I drive only about 350 miles a month. Always within 13 miles of home. However, with one asshat to a block, 10 blocks to a mile, that would be 130 asshats to deal with on the way - so that I why I carry supplies. Water alone? Over 7 gallons.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

My normal EDC sling bag is my Maxpedition Lunada.

This is an example of what it can easily hold. It's an older picture and many of the contents have changed over time. Some of the standard items that have remained;
  • IFAK - including a stop-bleed kit. From typical boo-boos to bleeding injuries which I think are important especially if you carry a firearm. The actual IFAK I carry now has a different container that what is pictured. I carry a smaller, flatter, hard plastic case so that it would be more waterproof. The orange zippered bag in the picture is my stop-bleed kit. Underneath in the package is a tan-colored Israeli bandage.
  • Still carry the red bandanna and rain poncho (cheap $ store brand but it works and is small, flat and compact). Bandanna has multiple uses and the poncho for the obvious reason.
  • My Sawyer mini-filter of course. In my area I'm never that far away from some type of water source. So basically, hydration needs are covered with this little item. It's good for more gallons than I'd probably ever need. But hydration is a necessity in Florida, particularly in the summer.
  • Still have the Maxpedition pocket organizer that has some seldom used but useful items if needed.
  • The flashlilghts have changed from the photo. I now have a single Nitecore EC11 that works with either 16340, 18350 or CR123 batteries. I also carry spare batteries of 16340, 18350, 14500, AA and AAA in small plastic hard cases. This covers the EC11 in the bag, the EA11 I carry at night and the Fenix 05 on my car key chain and Thrunite TiS on my 'survival' key chain.
  • Also carry a battery bank and cables/attachments for my phone and watch.
Other odds and ends like a spare magazine for my P365, hand sanitizer, compass, mylar blanket etc. I also have some of those compressed toilet paper and towels. Those have come in handy in the past.

But mainly would allow me to obtain clean drinking water if necessary, start a fire, have some means of first aid (including a compact MTM mask), light up the darkness and power my phone and watch for an extended time. This would allow me some basics if ever needed as well as day-to-day needs. Perhaps not something I'm going to travel 100 miles with, but it would allow some travel if needed with some basic items to help make the situation a bit better. And for day-to-day needs it works out great.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

My EDC and GHB are two separate kits.

EDC is what I have on me at all times. Flash light. 1-2 knives. Cell phone. FA. Multi tool. Keys. Net Scout. laptop. Atwood tool. Anything else and I feel like I have a boat anchor in my pants. :D

GHB is a lot more complicated and requires something that has 2 versions. Winter and summer. GHB is based on the car is not going anywhere. I plan on a 40 mile trip back home. Summer time I will also have access to a bike, that is not usable in the winter. If not I can still walk 40 miles in a day/overnight. (Yes I have done it this year to prove to myself I could) 40 miles is a lot of ground to cover in a day+ evening of walking. My bag is light and if I need to be gone longer I would have more in it. It is a Catch-22 Light move fast and not be weighed down, or heavy and have everything I need and take much longer getting back.

Summer it is a little more of what I have in my EDC kit but more heavy duty.
Backpack, not sure where I got it but it was at REI and it is just a day pack that is really comfortable.
Better knife, Better light and extra battery, battery bank/charger, I will drop and leave the Netscout and laptop.
Water, 1 liter, many times more if I can find a few bottles laying around or in the rig.
Lightweight jacket that is water proof. Mother nature is trying to kill you at all times, rain is a powerful amount of hurt she can put on anyone.
Lighter, matches, fero rod. Tinder and a few fire starter.
2 more magazines for my FA.
2 space blankets. Supper small super useful.
change of socks. Walking/running shoes are n the car with my GHB.
Compass
1 MRE
2 snack bars
sanitation wipes
Life straw.
100 Ft 550 cord, with 25 pound magnet.
First aid kit
6x8 cheep tarp.
bandana
3 full sized garbage bags.

Winter, Most of the above with a few changes, because it gets a might bit cold where I live.
replace running shoes with winter weight hiking boots.
add a heavy winter weight jacket
heavy sweater, wool pants and long john bottoms
1 extra MRE
More kindling and 1 road flare. (Flares are great for starting fires when you have very little dexterity due to cold or other reasons.)
water purification tabs
Heater for MRE meals
Light weight 20 degree back in small stuff sack. It is amazing how small you can get them down to.

My major concern is that the 2 bridges are still standing on my path home. Going 5-10 miles on a gamble to see if there is another way across means I am out at least one more night and getting a bit hungry.

Hiking and back packing Pro tip.
use your food sealer/meal sealer to compress your clothing, socks, jackets. It sucks the air out and shrinks the amount of space needed. If you have a really powerful one you can do your sleeping bag too. Everything stays dry and clean this way too. Plus you can use the bags to transport wet things or water when emptied.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

David wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:22 am My normal EDC sling bag is my Maxpedition Lunada.

This is an example of what it can easily hold. It's an older picture and many of the contents have changed over time. Some of the standard items that have remained;
  • IFAK - including a stop-bleed kit. From typical boo-boos to bleeding injuries which I think are important especially if you carry a firearm. The actual IFAK I carry now has a different container that what is pictured. I carry a smaller, flatter, hard plastic case so that it would be more waterproof. The orange zippered bag in the picture is my stop-bleed kit. Underneath in the package is a tan-colored Israeli bandage.
  • Still carry the red bandanna and rain poncho (cheap $ store brand but it works and is small, flat and compact). Bandanna has multiple uses and the poncho for the obvious reason.
  • My Sawyer mini-filter of course. In my area I'm never that far away from some type of water source. So basically, hydration needs are covered with this little item. It's good for more gallons than I'd probably ever need. But hydration is a necessity in Florida, particularly in the summer.
  • Still have the Maxpedition pocket organizer that has some seldom used but useful items if needed.
  • The flashlilghts have changed from the photo. I now have a single Nitecore EC11 that works with either 16340, 18350 or CR123 batteries. I also carry spare batteries of 16340, 18350, 14500, AA and AAA in small plastic hard cases. This covers the EC11 in the bag, the EA11 I carry at night and the Fenix 05 on my car key chain and Thrunite TiS on my 'survival' key chain.
Other odds and ends like a spare magazine for my P365, hand sanitizer, compass, mylar blanket etc. I also have some of those compressed toilet paper and towels. Those have come in handy in the past.

But mainly would allow me to obtain clean drinking water if necessary, start a fire, have some means of first aid (including a compact MTM mask), light up the darkness and power my phone and watch for an extended time. This would allow me some basics if ever needed as well as day-to-day needs. Perhaps not something I'm going to travel 100 miles with, but it would allow some travel if needed with some basic items to help make the situation a bit better. And for day-to-day needs it works out great.
I like your kit, only thing I would say you might want to add, actual water, and a way to carry it.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:22 pm
David wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:22 am My normal EDC sling bag is my Maxpedition Lunada.

I like your kit, only thing I would say you might want to add, actual water, and a way to carry it.
In Florida, particularly in the summer, that’s always a good suggestion. I will normally have one of my Camelbak bottles with me when I’m out of the house. I should add a carbine to the bag though so that I could easily attach the bottle to the bag for hands free if needed.

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I am way older than most.
The controlling factors are situational.
1. my mentor. Retired. Rural Az. Former paratrooper. Now at stage of minor surgeries (and recovering from them all the time). Son lives nearby. He has a series of 30 pound packs. Concluded there is no difference between winter and summer.
2. Me. Retired. Took me 1.25 hrs. last week to drive 13 miles downtown. I am going nowhere slowly. Hardly drive. A couple hundred pounds of gear in the car with ability to live a week without scrounging. Key is having a Tactical Tailor pack and 15 minutes to decide what I want to cherry pick based upon what I face. Nearly always summer. Never leave home without having multiple folders available.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I also have a few protein bars in the EDC bag.