Current Ammo Stocks

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Current Ammo Stocks

Post by Ronin.45 »

Strayz wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 pm I look at it this way buy a box of what calibers you need every friday. 9 mm .45 acp, 5.56, 7.62, 12 ga. and 2-3 of .22 LR.

stick to this for 2-3 years and you will be set for a very long time as long as you replenish what you use.

I hear people belly aching about ammo prices and how they can not afford to have huge piles of ammo laying around. Well if you buy a little at a time all the time it takes the sting out of buying it. Even if you only Buy a box every other week for certain calibers. It will start to add up.
Some of us use more than a box a week so the stockpile still goes down unless we buy a bunch.
The key is to accept that shooting is not a cheap hobby and ammo is the biggest part of that expense. Pay attention to ammo prices and buy cases when it's cheap. You'll save way more buying in bulk plus save the gas from going to Walmart or other store every week.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Strayz wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 pm I look at it this way buy a box of what calibers you need every friday. 9 mm .45 acp, 5.56, 7.62, 12 ga. and 2-3 of .22 LR.

stick to this for 2-3 years and you will be set for a very long time as long as you replenish what you use.

I hear people belly aching about ammo prices and how they can not afford to have huge piles of ammo laying around. Well if you buy a little at a time all the time it takes the sting out of buying it. Even if you only Buy a box every other week for certain calibers. It will start to add up.

This is how I did it, plus reloading some. At some point I run out of places to store it and quit buying it. I'd buy another ammo safe but I don't have anywhere to put it...
... Just a Dude...
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:10 pm

Some of us use more than a box a week so the stockpile still goes down unless we buy a bunch.
The key is to accept that shooting is not a cheap hobby and ammo is the biggest part of that expense. Pay attention to ammo prices and buy cases when it's cheap. You'll save way more buying in bulk plus save the gas from going to Walmart or other store every week.
You missed the part about replenishing what you use. The above plan works as long as you replenish what you use. Not everyone can afford to drop the coin to buy in case or pallet amounts for discounts. As far as gas to get to the store, my LGS is on the way home, not even a block out of the way.

For those of us that do shoot a bit more than the average. Yes buying in bulk and reloading is the only way to make things affordable. If I could only buy mail order. (logistics and legalities of living where I do, so I can not order via mail.)
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Gnepig wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:04 pm

This is how I did it, plus reloading some. At some point I run out of places to store it and quit buying it. I'd buy another ammo safe but I don't have anywhere to put it...
.50 Cal ammo cans and sitting in the crawl space off the ground. Think home made shelves around the foundation of the house. If we get another big shaker, I am not worried about the foundation, just saying. I would also try and make sure that Safes are on solid or very, very secure flooring. I know not everyone is a home owner and can to afford to buy a home but using the ammo cans as a bed frame or in unused space can help you with space available. I do not recommend the attic as the temperatures can fluctuate wildly up there.

To answer the coming question, no I don't have a bunker. it is on my want list though. :)
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Strayz wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:49 pm
Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:10 pm

You missed the part about replenishing what you use. The above plan works as long as you replenish what you use. Not everyone can afford to drop the coin to buy in case or pallet amounts for discounts. As far as gas to get to the store, my LGS is on the way home, not even a block out of the way.

For those of us that do shoot a bit more than the average. Yes buying in bulk and reloading is the only way to make things affordable. If I could only buy mail order. (logistics and legalities of living where I do, so I can not order via mail.)
I never understand the argument that someone can't afford to buy in bulk. If you can spend $20 a week on 100rds. You can surely spend $80 a month on 500. Paying and extra dollar or more per box to buy in small quantities is literally throwing money away. It's like the people who put $2 in their gas tank every day instead of $20 every 10 days. You can cut out 9 trips to the gas station, saving time and money, if you just fill it up.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

This would be a good spot for folks to toss out some links to their favorite ammo sources.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
SIGShooter

Post by SIGShooter »

For factory rounds I have 1,000 45, 1,000 40, 2,000 9mm, 200 38/357, 5,000 22lr, 500 12 gauge, and 1,500 5.56. Not a whole lot but that's supplemented by about 10,000 reloads in .45, 40, 9mm and 38/357 split pretty much equally. Pretty sure nobody is going to care if what's coming at them is a 45 Gold Dot or 200 lswc.

Also have another 7,000 45, 2,000 40, 3,000 9mm, and 1,000 38 bullets sitting in boxes waiting to be reloaded.

I have many thousands of small/large pistol primers for sale if anyone is interested and is in the San Francisco Bay Area :D
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Ronin.45 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:30 pm
I never understand the argument that someone can't afford to buy in bulk. If you can spend $20 a week on 100rds. You can surely spend $80 a month on 500. Paying and extra dollar or more per box to buy in small quantities is literally throwing money away. It's like the people who put $2 in their gas tank every day instead of $20 every 10 days. You can cut out 9 trips to the gas station, saving time and money, if you just fill it up.
It is all about the small steps and some people can not hold on to cash because of others access in the family ect. Baby steps. If you have never had to count every penny, then good for you. This entire conversation was not for your benefit.

Your analogy to putting $2 of gas in the car was way off. More like a 1/4 tank, some people are living check to check and don't have 4 months of cash at home in a safe and 6 months of monthly paychecks in savings, plus what ever else people stash away. Again I get your point but again this was not pointed at you, but those that are tight on funds(they may or may not be members but reading through). I know that they are not going to be buying every week and most likely that they are going to be buying that much once a month. Even if it is once a month after 3 years (36 months) they should have a nice little cache of ammo.

Not trying to pick a fight. Just providing options for those that might not be as flush with cash as you are.