Hunting 2020

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
Mac66
Board Founder

Hunting 2020

Post by Mac66 »

Techinically I started hunting this spring for spring turkey. Didn't see anything but I've been spending a lot of time at the property since we are building a house there this summer.

As far as improvements go we planted Buckwheat in the food plot in June. Buckwheat isn't a grain at all but blooms and grows seeds that can be made into flour. It is popular in Asia and Russia. It is used as a cover crop and then plowed under to feed nutrients back into the soil. The soil in the food plot is pretty sandy and acidy.

This is what it looked like on July 4

And on July 10

July 20

July 30

It was over 3 feet tall on July 30. The deer were in it every time I walked down to it to look at. You could just see their heads sticking out of it.

When I was back up last week it was all cut down and plowed under. The food plot guy had planted radishes. Radishes are a late season crop. They grow broad 2 foot wide leaves on the surface and up to 2' long radishes underground. Apparently the deer love both the leaves and tubers. They will continue to grow even when eaten down late into the fall and after the first snow. We'll see how that works this year.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

sorry duplicate post
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Hunting 2020

Post by Mac66 »

Well, the radishes are coming up and the deer seemed to like them. 9 deer came out in the field on last Thursday evening and 5 on Friday. That including a 3 pt buck I saw both nights and a large 8 pt.

4 out of 5 deer that came out at one time.

This 3 pointer came out both nights. Crappy cell phone photo

And I've been seeing some racks on my trail cameras...

There must be plenty of doe around because the DNR is opening a 2 day antlerless deer firearm hunt next weekend for private property. You can also get 10 antlerless deer permits this year. So conceivably you could take one during the early season, two or three during bow season (starts Oct 1) and a bunch during the regular firearm season (starts Nov 15) and during muzzleloading season (Dec 1-30) as well as one buck.
Last edited by Mac66 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Sorry, these posts are doubling up on me.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I didn't realize it due to the state changing the hunting regulations every year that I could have gotten a "combo" license. A combo license allows you to take two bucks, one has to be at least a spike horn or bigger. The other has to have at least 4 pts on one antler.

I'll have to get a "combo" license next year.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

After looking at all the pics you have put up I may have to get a trail cam for my new home. From my property line there is about a 20 ft distance of bank to the pond. Surrounding the pond on three sides is wetland and forest. I'm betting that at night there may be a lot of activity.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:43 am After looking at all the pics you have put up I may have to get a trail cam for my new home. From my property line there is about a 20 ft distance of bank to the pond. Surrounding the pond on three sides is wetland and forest. I'm betting that at night there may be a lot of activity.
Not a bad idea. I think you'll be surprised at what you'll see. Also be aware that they are addicting. You'll want more than one.

I currently have 4 cameras running, would like at least 4 more. :D

Here are some of the non hunting critters I've seen recently

And a couple of coyotes...

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'm up at my property for a two day anterless rifle season. Saw 8 doe and 5 bucks yesterday. The does were all pretty small so I passed. Though the point of a doe only season is to thin the herd so I really should have shot one.

The bucks included a couple 4 pt, a spike, a 6pt and a big 8 pt.

Was out before dawn this morning and had 3 doe and 2 bucks come out at 7:20. The bucks were a smaller 8 pt and 6 pt. Different deer than yesterday. I should have shot one of the doe but was too busy watching the bucks. All left after about 20 minutes but came back 40 minutes later.

They all seem to like the radishes.

I'm back in to warm up. It was 32 degrees the last two mornings. I'll do some stalking today then go out and sit in my blind this evening.

My house is coming tomorrow so I'm getting excited.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Nice photographs! I have a 120 acre wood lot with three neighbors - one being a rare state game preserve. My neighbors have my license to hunt on my property. One sends me game camera pictures of bears and turkeys. I will try to remember to post some the next time any are received.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Well the 2 day season is over. I killed a big doe around 6 pm today. She was standing next to a 6 pt buck. I hope I see him during bow and rifle season.

Had 6 doe and 2 bucks come out at about 5:30. The bucks chased the doe around for awhile. Later a couple big does came out and I nailed one.

I was using my dad's 303 Savage 99. It was made in 1903 so is 117 years old. Scope is a 60'S era 2.5x weaver. One shot at about 70 yards DRT. Pics when i get home.

Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.