Why is it important to prep?

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: Why is it important to prep?

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:57 pm You can't help others if you need help yourself.
As I was reading your post, another thought struck me in that it comes down to personal responsibility. It's not having to depend on someone else or an institution (i.e. government) to do something you should have taken the responsibility to do yourself. At least as much as is realistically possible. It isn't an unrealistic expectation for a person or family to have a couple of weeks worth of non-perishable food, a means of having safe drinking water, a means of protection, a means of keeping warm and dry.

Far too many rely on others do do what they should be doing for themselves. With the caveat that some folks legitimately need assistance due to circumstances beyond their control.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Why is it important to prep?

Post by David »

I was asked the question on another board, 'How long do you prep for"? I put some thought into that question and here is how I answered:

The answer has different layers.

I prep for a single day/situation. For example, I carry a spare tire (most people do). I carry some emergency food bars (such as you would find in a life boat) and some water in the vehicle. If I were to break down I would call AAA (that is a prep). If I was out of cell phone reception range (dead spot) I have enough food/water in the vehicle to easily walk to a spot where my phone would work or I could reach a phone or establishment. Not that food is that big of a deal (normally) but it is there should it be needed. I keep a few packs of Emergen-C in my EDC sling bag to put into the water for electrolyte replacement which in my climate is highly needed. If for some reason (natural disaster/social unrest/zombie apocalypse) and I had to leave my vehicle for some reason and take the shoe leather express (i.e. I'm on foot to get home or out of the area) then I have gear/knowledge to make a fire, disinfect water (if I've run out of the supply in the vehicle), make a shelter, stay dry, stay warm (or cooler as needed). I, of course, have a means to light the path. And a means of personal protection.

I prep for a week+. Since a storm could easily knock out power in my A.O. (and it has) for a week or more I have supplies at home to easily last a week+ such as food, a way to cook it and all the things listed above.

I prep for a year+. In the event of a situation that would last longer, I have the means and ability to feed four for about a year or more and disinfect water for many years.

I prep for a lifetime. I'm an instructor in various skills such as firearms, defensive tactics, combatives, first responder, AED etc. These are skills that can be invaluable in an emergency situation. Prepping isn't about having a cool back pack and gear to show-n-tell with your buddies (although like with flashlights it's a lot of fun). It's about skills, taking care of your health, eating right, exercising so that in a stressful situation/illness/injury you can deal/cope with it better.

It's all about avoiding, preventing or mitigating a situation that could range from mildly annoying to life-threatening. These types of events don't necessarily concern me, but I do recognize that they happen to people, somewhere, everyday. It isn't possible to prepare for everything at all times, so you simply prepare for the horses and if a zebra comes by you may be well on your way to being prepared for it as well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".