Amount of shooting has dropped

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Amount of shooting has dropped

Post by Bmyers »

Had a range trip planned over Christmas break, but weather decided otherwise with rain.

Was talking to my buddy and those individuals shooting matches have dropped significantly, which includes me. Last year I only shot two matches. In 2020, most matches/ranges were closed in our area. When things started opening back up 2021, still had a hard time finding ammo/reloading supplies. I have plenty to shot matches, but three of the area clubs have stopped matches and don't know if they will resume because many of the shooters couldn't get ammo or didn't want to spend their ammo on a match (most of the matches are 100-150 rounds per match.

As my buddy and I talked, locally we are seeing 9mm target ammo on the shelves for $20-$30 for 50 rounds. Split the difference and you are looking at $75 in ammo for a match, plus $15 match fee, plus since the range is about 20 minutes for use, but generally 45 minutes or further for others and at $3+ a gallon of gas, many are looking at $100+ for shooting one match which doesn't include lunch after the match.

We discussed cutting the round count down, yet if you drive 30+ minutes (some drive an hour or more) would you want to come to a match for just 50 rounds(most stages are 18 round stages so you would look at 3 stages) for a total shooting time of less than three minutes?

Several of us reload and have for years, but as we know reloading supplies have increased IF you can find them. Many we shoot with have started running low or out and now are on the side lines waiting for the supply to return.

I know our church safety team did only one training last year and kept it at 50 rounds. We had been doing monthly training.

Anyway, just venting over the frustration of the current economy and it effecting something I enjoy.
David
Administrator

Re: Amount of shooting has dropped

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:25 am Anyway, just venting over the frustration of the current economy and it effecting something I enjoy.
I feel ya buddy. I miss the days of $5 for a box of 9mm (Bush era).

Thinking back over 2021 I only went to one Outlaw match and maybe hit the range 3 times. Now my injury did play a bit of a role as well but yeah, I'm just not paying scalper pricing for ammo. I hit Walmart at exactly the right time when the clerk had literally finished putting the red 50% off stickers on the ammo in the case. I bought four full bags of various caliber ammo and I'm glad I did. Pricing hasn't come down as quickly as I had hoped and I haven't checked prices in a long while. I'm 'assuming' that it's at least headed back in the right direction?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I made all our matches rimfire friendly and have been able to maintain probably 80% attendance.
We shot most of 2020 and have been going strong since.
Guns like the TX22, P17, G44, 502, etc. make it very easy to practice/train/compete just like normal. 8-10¢ a round is not great, but way better than centerfire.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

See - I'm starting to see 50 9mm for $18-20

No, that isn't 15 or 17, but at 20 it is wayyyyy better than $35 which it was up to.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:52 am I made all our matches rimfire friendly and have been able to maintain probably 80% attendance.
We shot most of 2020 and have been going strong since.
Guns like the TX22, P17, G44, 502, etc. make it very easy to practice/train/compete just like normal. 8-10¢ a round is not great, but way better than centerfire.
That is part of the discussion we are having if the matches should be changed to 22 friendly. We have lots of steel and reactive targets that won't work with 22, but to keep people shooting, it might be worth it.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I was in Winchester the yesterday checking on a couple of my employees that we had working there. Talking with some Winchester employees I was trying to talk them into letting me have just a crate or two would make me happy.

They said that they had gotten back to selling to employees again, which is a good sign. I will have to have dad stop by and see how much and what he can get (they also sell to retired employees).
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Typically I shoot up a box or two of ammo whenever I get a new gun. This year it's been maybe a mag or two. I do have lots of ammo stashed away but with no (cheap) way to replenish it I've not done much shooting this year. And...that includes .22s as well. I have pretty much switched to 22s but again, no cheap way to replenish the stocks even 22s are being rationed.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:25 am Had a range trip planned over Christmas break, but weather decided otherwise with rain.

Was talking to my buddy and those individuals shooting matches have dropped significantly, which includes me. Last year I only shot two matches. In 2020, most matches/ranges were closed in our area. When things started opening back up 2021, still had a hard time finding ammo/reloading supplies. I have plenty to shot matches, but three of the area clubs have stopped matches and don't know if they will resume because many of the shooters couldn't get ammo or didn't want to spend their ammo on a match (most of the matches are 100-150 rounds per match.

As my buddy and I talked, locally we are seeing 9mm target ammo on the shelves for $20-$30 for 50 rounds. Split the difference and you are looking at $75 in ammo for a match, plus $15 match fee, plus since the range is about 20 minutes for use, but generally 45 minutes or further for others and at $3+ a gallon of gas, many are looking at $100+ for shooting one match which doesn't include lunch after the match.

We discussed cutting the round count down, yet if you drive 30+ minutes (some drive an hour or more) would you want to come to a match for just 50 rounds(most stages are 18 round stages so you would look at 3 stages) for a total shooting time of less than three minutes?

Several of us reload and have for years, but as we know reloading supplies have increased IF you can find them. Many we shoot with have started running low or out and now are on the side lines waiting for the supply to return.

I know our church safety team did only one training last year and kept it at 50 rounds. We had been doing monthly training.

Anyway, just venting over the frustration of the current economy and it effecting something I enjoy.
I think you are low on the gas. Even around the Atlanta area an outdoor range can be 60+ miles away
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I go to a local indoor range at the VFW hall....
Shooting has dropped off a lot but I fiq it may be due to many of the members being older and afraid of covid.
Add in the cost of ammo and the two may be the answer.
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Well, my membership to IDPA has come up for renewal and I decided for now, I won't renew. I don't have any sanctioned matches I'm planning on shooting this year and the two clubs in our area that required an IDPA membership to shoot there is no longer doing matches.