Affordable survival items

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Affordable survival items

Post by Mac66 »

I have a CPL class coming up (the class room portion) with family. Mostly nieces and my sister, most of which have ever shot a gun before. They all want to buy guns for home defense and to carry occasionally. Usually on trips when they drive somewhere. I am at a loss to suggest what to get. Virtually nothing is available in terms of handguns and ammo at affordable prices.

I've been looking on my local gun forums for deals on used guns, usually a good source. Carry guns are far and few between and just about everything is at least $200 more than it was last year. I can probably front them some ammo if we ever find some guns.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Our niece had to wait almost four months for the S&W 380 Shield EZ to come in that she ordered. She was number 8 on the list and the list had 34 people on it.

When I went by Farm and Home last week, shelves still bare of most ammo, guys circling around like vultures hoping the next employee brings out something they want. The firearm shelves were sad with them being so empty. At the end of 2019 they did a huge build out of their firearm and ammo section, now it all sets empty. Talked to the sales guy and as soon as it hit the shelves, the items are gone.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 am I have a CPL class coming up (the class room portion) with family. Mostly nieces and my sister, most of which have ever shot a gun before. They all want to buy guns for home defense and to carry occasionally. Usually on trips when they drive somewhere. I am at a loss to suggest what to get. Virtually nothing is available in terms of handguns and ammo at affordable prices.

I've been looking on my local gun forums for deals on used guns, usually a good source. Carry guns are far and few between and just about everything is at least $200 more than it was last year. I can probably front them some ammo if we ever find some guns.
Bmyers wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am Our niece had to wait almost four months for the S&W 380 Shield EZ to come in that she ordered. She was number 8 on the list and the list had 34 people on it.

When I went by Farm and Home last week, shelves still bare of most ammo, guys circling around like vultures hoping the next employee brings out something they want. The firearm shelves were sad with them being so empty. At the end of 2019 they did a huge build out of their firearm and ammo section, now it all sets empty. Talked to the sales guy and as soon as it hit the shelves, the items are gone.
Unfortunately, the times right now are what we have warned people about for quite some time. It WILL get better, but right now it is simply 'a day late and a dollar short'. Hopefully a majority of folks will remember what this time was like when it gets better and prepare themselves better.

I to have folks ask me about how to get a gun and where to find ammo. The truth is that unless they can get into a time machine and go back a year or so they are simply going to have to take what they can get while paying a very high premium.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Well I kind regret getting rid of all the handguns I sold or traded last year. Some of them would have been suitable for relatives. On the other hand, I have all the guns and ammo I need for my immediate family so there's that. I guess everybody gets armed with .22 rifles or ARs, got plenty of those. ;)
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Not to sound harsh, I figure adults should be responsible for themselves. I've discussed firearms with my non-gun family for decades. As a firearms instructor that has literally taught thousands of people, they've had free access to me for decades. And many friends and some family have followed my advice and gotten with me for their CCW and training. Many have not. For the ones that didn't, that's on them. Again, not to sound harsh, but there is the old saying that 'you can lead an elephant to water but you can't push one in'.

The ones that put it off and are now in a panic, well...good luck. Be willing/able to pay a premium for a pistol if you can find one and willing to pay a $1 or more per round of ammunition.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

What has been interesting over the last two years is how many of my non-gun owner family members have become gun owners and actually have started enjoying shooting.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Been thinking hard on the air rifle as an affordable firearm at the moment.

RWS Superdomwe .22 pellets. .04 per round....
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:43 am Been thinking hard on the air rifle as an affordable firearm at the moment.

RWS Superdomwe .22 pellets. .04 per round....
You’ve seen my Kodiak Silver air rifle. Comes with both .177 and .22 barrels. Is it a battle rifle? No, of course not. Will it put food on the table cheap? It absolutely will. Can take a small hog with .22 pellets as well as other critters. Video on YT taking 40ish pound hog at like 40ish yards.

And yes, pellets are extremely inexpensive, plentiful and a plethora of varieties.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:23 am Not to sound harsh, I figure adults should be responsible for themselves. I've discussed firearms with my non-gun family for decades. As a firearms instructor that has literally taught thousands of people, they've had free access to me for decades. And many friends and some family have followed my advice and gotten with me for their CCW and training. Many have not. For the ones that didn't, that's on them. Again, not to sound harsh, but there is the old saying that 'you can lead an elephant to water but you can't push one in'.

The ones that put it off and are now in a panic, well...good luck. Be willing/able to pay a premium for a pistol if you can find one and willing to pay a $1 or more per round of ammunition.
Good point. The less expensive alternative is a 22 rifle. I have plenty of them and plenty of ammo. So it's that or they're on their own.