Carrying a modified gun

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Carrying a modified gun

Post by Ronin.45 »

What do you guys think? Do you only carry stock guns or will you carry one that's been modified?

I'll answer tonight after my match so we can get some answers in first.
David
Administrator

Re: Carrying a modified gun

Post by David »

Depends on the mods. Are we considering night sights a mod? That’s typically the extent for me in a carry gun. Triggers and spring kits and other internals I don’t like to mess with. Maybe a different weight recoil spring and I have replaced plastic guide rods with stainless steel.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I personally think mods are a non issue. I've was in plenty of criminal cases when I was a cop where all manner of guns were used and mods never came up. Could it happen? Sure. Does it have any bearing on the case? Unlikely. A person will be judged on the facts of the case, not the tool used in most cases. If you're guilty you're guilty, if you're not you're not. Gun mods aren't going to change that. Most cops and prosecutors don't know that much about guns in the first place. It's a non issue.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I was thinking modifications to the action as they pertain to reliability. Sights, grip tape/stippling, etc are a non-issue. I don't even listen when someone says a trigger job will get you in legal trouble. They can't ever come up with an instance where it has.

My personal opinion is mods are ok as long as they are vetted. My guns get run hard and often so I'm very comfortable with various trigger, striker, and spring upgrades. Once a combo has been tested in multiple competitions with various ammo and mags it is as good as anything else. Anyone who's been around guns for any length of time can tell you plenty about stock guns failing, so I don't put special trust in a gun because it's unmodified. Even the most trusted brands in the industry have made lemons. As the saying goes "trust, but verify".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Agree that the legal thing is generally a non-issue. Didn't factor into my post above. And I agree the the 'trust but verify' approach. Other than sights and maybe a stainless steel guide rod and such I never really mess with a pistol. I have buddies that get CZ's and then get spring kits, trigger kits and all sorts of internals this and that. That's fine for them, although I kid them about it of course. But all of my carry/HD guns really don't have internal mods done to them at all. Stock is fine for me.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I think #1 is 100% reliable.

I think after that most of the defense horror stories you hear are from CA, IL, NY etc....So I recommend do not mod the gun if you live there, but save your money to move.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Well, I totally misread the OP first post. My experience is that mods only create problems in competition. Better to keep it as stock as possible. In most cases the original designers know what they're doing.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

The only mod on my main carry gun is the main spring... went from a 17 to a 20. Then it was tested by over 500 rounds and no issue. I think I'm good.

Mods don't bother me as long as with the carry ammo the gun is 100%
You can't fix stupid !
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

tom mac wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:31 pm The only mod on my main carry gun is the main spring... went from a 17 to a 20. Then it was tested by over 500 rounds and no issue. I think I'm good.

Mods don't bother me as long as with the carry ammo the gun is 100%
That's the key. Too many people like to swap parts, whether performance or cosmetic, and don't shoot enough to make sure the gun still works. Obviously, since most people don't shoot much anyway, this includes the folks who mod their guns. If The Ghost and The Darkness proved anything, it's to never take an untested gun into the field
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I shake my head at the ‘custom’ guns for sale/trade on AL. Why dump $ into a pistol to turn around and get rid of it? They try to get top $ for the gun but usually you see it week after week and sometimes months.