Modified Zippo Test thread

From primitive methods to advanced tools, everything you need to start a fire.
David
Administrator

Modified Zippo Test thread

Post by David »

I ordered and received a package of anti-evaporation gaskets for my Zippo. It received mostly good reviews (76% 5 stars and 24% 2 stars). A complaint was that it was hard to light, possibly vapor lock? Figured I'd try it out as its purported to slow the evaporation of the fluid. We shall see. I also changed out the ranger band for a new one (bike inner tube). Generally I can get at least 3 weeks before refilling with fluid. I'll test this out once a week or so and see how long it takes till I need to refill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W3 ... UTF8&psc=1

So today I put in the gasket, new ranger band and filled full. Day 1.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Modified Zippo Test thread

Post by David »

Day 8: Lit on first strike.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 16: Lit on first strike.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 22: Lit on first strike.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 30: Lit on first strike. This has surpassed my previous test with this Zippo using only a ranger band. The insert seems to be working. The test continues.

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

thank you for the update
David
Administrator

Post by David »

You’re welcome, I have fun doing it.

Day 34: lit on the first strike.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 38: lit on first strike.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 40: lit on first strike.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 43: lit on first strike. IIRC, my previous best, just using a ranger band, was around 21 days. So this is just past double the amount of time so far. The Zippo isn't just sitting on a table, I've carried it in my pocket everyday in my normal EDC fashion. Really interested to see just how long it will go. But right now I have to give that little gasket, in conjunction with the new ranger band a big thumbs up.