New Ruger LCP Max

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

New Ruger LCP Max

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: New Ruger LCP Max

Post by David »

Okay, I pulled out the scale. My LCP II with 7-round mag + 1 in the chamber + an additional 5 rounds (to simulate the Max with a 12-round mag) weighs 14.8 ounces. Sootch00 weighed the Max and it was 0.4 ounces heavier than the LCP II so figure the Max with 12-round mag will be approx. 15.3 ounces. I weighed my P365 w/12-round mag and TLR-6 weighs 24.9 ounces. Subtract the weight of the TLR-6 (1.12 ounces) and you've got approx. 23.8 ounces (rounded up). So a difference of 8.5 ounces in this configuration. That's pretty substantial in the pocket (or anywhere really). In the 10-round configuration for both it would be about the same I'd imagine.

So 0.19 inches thinner, 8 ounces lighter and a bit less tall/long. Small differences but in the pocket it really adds up.

Grabagun already has them for $399. Price already coming down from MSRP.

Gets more and more interesting and appealing

Size comparisons with the P365.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/rug ... sauer-p365
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Figure the Max at 15.3 ounces fully loaded with a 12 round mag. The 10-round mag would come in lighter of course. My LCP II with 7-round mag and one in the chamber is 12.9 ounces. Figure 2.4 ounces difference going from 8 rounds to 13 rounds. Or a bit less of a difference going to 11 total rounds.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

More boolits is better when it comes to minor calibers. Good on Ruger.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The Ruger Max9 is just a tad larger/taller than the P365. It's a fair difference overall.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:52 pm
Very nice package. I've been carrying the 380 Bodyguard for years. I may have to re-consider.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:51 pm
David wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:52 pm
Very nice package. I've been carrying the 380 Bodyguard for years. I may have to re-consider.
It makes you wonder if S&W and the other pocket pistol makers will follow suit and up the capacity on their offerings? If the LCP Max really takes off and sells a gazillion I wouldn't be surprised if the other companies try to get in on the (new) market.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Looking at the Max9...in Muddy Girl, of course.

Held one today - pretty nice. A little meatier, a little stubbier. But, 10rds, cool front sight, nice grip texture.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:39 am Looking at the Max9...in Muddy Girl, of course.

Held one today - pretty nice. A little meatier, a little stubbier. But, 10rds, cool front sight, nice grip texture.
Like I mentioned in your other thread, the Max 9 would be of interest if I didn't already have the P365. Since it's based on the LC9s, and I very much like the LC9s it should be a complete slam dunk. Has the same type of 'melted' edges for CCW carry. The front sight would be excellent day or night. Really nothing not to like about that pistol.

I'm sure the Shield Plus is going to be a fine micro, though I think it's a tad larger than the others in this category? I have no interest in the Hellcat but that's mainly because I'm not a S.A. fan. The Taurus GX4 is probably a good choice as well but it doesn't currently have a MS so for my it's a deal-breaker.

In regards to the LCP Max, I see several folks on GT have signed up to be the Beta-testers. So I'm looking forward to their range reports. Going over to families for the BBQ today. I'll have my LCP II in my pocket and a 'real' pistol in the car. I was over at families last night for dinner and had my P365 on me and just started thinking, 'why'? I could have had the LCP II in my pocket and the P365 in the car for the trip back and forth. Not that the P365 is uncomfortable to carry it's not. But I forget the LCP II is even in my pocket.

So I do have interest in the LCP Max. If it shakes out to be a solid performer, and the Max with a 12-round mag really isn't going to be larger than my LCP II with a 7-round mag...I'm sold. Not that I'd get rid of the LCP II. It can be the back up to my back up.