Who fixes their own stuff?

Here you can post your DIY projects or links/videos.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Who fixes their own stuff?

Post by Mac66 »

Yeah, with new houses there's always something to be done. Been working on putting up storm doors and outside lights. putting up curtains/blinds and pictures. Also been maintaining and working on the mini bikes, chain saws, ATV, now the tractor. Fixing/making deer blinds. Building a rain barrel system for the new house. Also hooked up a TV antenna (no cable or satellite in the woods) and ran the line to the crawlspace, then to a splitter to run antenna lines to the living room and bedrooms. It's always something, the list is endless.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I can't do it anymore.
1. too old.
I gave my portable saw to the quasi son and the generator. Cannot handle them any more.
2. too far from the parts store and the change in technology.
I had replaced halogen rear lights with leds. Yesterday the left headlight went out. The assembly is not glass like 30 years ago. The parts store is 2 miles away. No second car. No three hands. Knew that the whole assembly had to come off. Went to my trusty mechanic after I had bought the replacement parts. It took two men to wrestle off the assembly. Replaced both headlight bulbs.
3. Can't climb on ladders any more. Father had done his header with brain surgery following . . .
4. I know how to replace motor mounts. Had my mechanic do it earlier this year. My kid does that kind of thing. Then again, he has his secretary help him.

You have to know your limitations.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Mac66 has given very suggestions on fixing things yourself.

My dad taught me some important lessons about fixing things oneself. I pass them on to you. They are not a criticism. Just observations.
1. My dad was not able to complete installing a dishwasher in the kitchen. It sat partially installed for years. It was frustrating to him. After he passed, a younger brother had a plumber come in and finish the job. Last week, a door lock failed after 40 years. I took it out, knew what to do, went to the shop, had it replaced and the replacement re-keyed to the original lock. Could not get it to work. Finally, called a locksmith whose quotation reviled that of the most lawyers in town. I had him disassemble the new lock and reassemble. Then it worked. Moral - sometimes, it isn't your fault, just get the job done.
2. My dad didn't just go up on the roof and fall off once after age 70 and have surgery. He did it twice - and nearly died. A girlfriend who loved skiing gave it up and sold her condo at Tellurite, Colorado. Not only is it tough to come back from unnecessary injuries, it can be very dumb to put yourself in that situation when you should know better. Don't fret about your limitations, pat yourself on the back for your intelligence to avoid unnecessary injuries.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Some good points Bd.

Bought the stormdoors with the intention of installing them myself. Had them all laid out and ready to go when my wife came out and said she contacted a local handyman who would come out and do it at a reasonable cost. "No honey, I can do it" I said. "yes dear I know but you got better things to spend your time on" was her reply. Sure enough, the guy came out, did an excellent job for a very reasonable price and I went out hunting. Not to mention that he did it in about half or a third of the time It would have taken me.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

“A man has to know his limitations.”

― Harry Callahan ( dirty harry )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ordered an in-cabin air filter for both vehicles. I'll put them in over the weekend. That's a filter you just don't think about often.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

as to air filters on Toyota....
Pull it out once a year and reverse vacuum it. I refuse to pay $24 for something so small we never needed in the past.( toyota parts tho other are cheaper )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:22 am as to air filters on Toyota....
Pull it out once a year and reverse vacuum it. I refuse to pay $24 for something so small we never needed in the past.( toyota parts tho other are cheaper )
Yep, some of these parts are stupid expensive for what they are.

I got my filters off Amazon for $9 each. Considering the one car is 13 years old and the other is almost 5 years old and they've never been changed it's about time.

:lol:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I replaced the cabin filter on my 2004 Avalon twice by myself. After the last time, with it being very difficult, I knew that the next time, that the car had aged and the mechanic would have to do it in the futre. I was correct.

A month ago, I was faced with replacing the bulb in a headlight lens. Yes, I knew how to do it. I also knew that if you replaced one, you replaced the bulb in the other headlight, sometimes for technical reasons. However, the car is 18 years old and I knew this time it would take two people and some time to do it. I was correct. It took two guys. This time I cleaned the original lenses with brake cleaner and then polished them. I will replace the assemblies the next time that a bulb does go out for sure.

Same thing with replacing a toilet. Have lived in the house for over 40 years. Knew that the bolts were broken. Unsure about the flanges. Hired a neighbor who was a plumber - off the books. I bought the toilet and hauled it home. The professional had a real challenge.

Having the technical knowledge and remote practical experience sometimes cannot replace having the daily experience.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I got the filters replaced in both vehicles this afternoon. Yep, they needed it. YT video for each made it simple.