What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2021

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
bdcochran

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2021

Post by bdcochran »

Car. Know that it is aging. Replaced right front outer tie rod today. In 1500 miles, I will need to replace the right front axle seal, the lower control arms, transmission drain, and oil change. Won't be cheap. Found a video on how to do the lower control arm replacement on my year/model of car and will put it on a usb stick for my mechanic to review before he undertakes the task. It might saving some labor.

The car is worth far more than the upcoming repair and should last another 16 years.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

With the value of used cars now days, price goes up a little more on my old Ford Ranger I will be able to sell it and retire.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

with the latest lack of computers at the car companies... used cars have increased in value

( brother works for Mazda, normally 150 cars on lot, due to issue with chips/computers he stated they were lucky to have 20. Only working on what comes in right now )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I must have missed something. There is a lack of computer stuff for new cars all of a sudden?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

There is a lack of computer stuff for new cars all of a sudden?
Why not?
Let's review your experience. You stopped at a restaurant and had to buy food at the grocery store. And everyone did it at the same time. What happened to the food supply on the supermarket shelves?

You stopped driving your car as much. You bought fewer car parts, less gasoline (assuming that you were not retired). Now you want to buy a new car or a used car or get your car fixed.

There are no vast warehouses with businessmen stockpiling parts and finished products as an investment.

The typical new car has over 100 computer chips in it. You are showing your age. The typical new car has a computer chip on each tire connection to measure the pressure of the tire and tell you through another computer chip that you are low on air, just as an example.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Get ready to pay higher prices for used cars.

A dearth of semiconductor chip production is cramping new-vehicle production , limiting the availability of certain models in the coming months and threatening to raise used-car prices as buyers hunt for alternatives.

The shortages of chips, a result of the pandemic, are rippling through the automotive industry, undercutting production at General Motors, Ford, Honda, Toyota and other companies.

The upshot is that the used-car market, in particular, is poised for significant disruption – likely in the form of higher prices.
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Son of girlfriend. Sold his used car for $5000 more on eBay last week than he paid for it used 3 years ago. I think it was an Audi.

Girlfriend was paid $2000 when her leased car came off lease last month so that she would not exercise the option to buy.

You can use google as well as I. The average used car price is now $25,000 and the new car price is $40,000.

My 16 year old car has a nominal value of now $6500 in today's market. Only 112,000 miles. The family has used up three cars of the same model at 225,000 miles or greater. I will spend about $1200 next month for replacement lower control arms, an axle bearing. May have to replace a couple of motor mounts as well. So the final cost may approach $2000. People don't have the patience to do those kinds of repairs.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Color me educated on something I was unaware of :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I spent the whole day coordinating by phone and email with multiple relatives. My sister in law is coming through at some time on Thursday. She is going 110 miles south to a family party. I generated that party among three nieces/nephews by taking items down to them two months ago. Today, after sending pictures, I boxed hardly used items like a corded drill, large auger, a couple of sanders, metal cutting machine for the younger generation. I am also sending the Christmas presents down early as shipping costs are way high. The "loot" includes space blankets, knives, flashlights, books, booze, unused FRS radios.

I have lived in the same house for 40 years. I give myself another 10 years before I will have to move to an apartment. I don't have the urgency of like two of the members who are building houses -to get rid of things. Some day, I will be unable to lift/move/carry things and I want to enjoy the time that I live in the current house. It means downsizing now before it becomes imperative.

My retirement avocation has been restoring/making hatchets/tomahawks/axes/swords and knives. The effort today was in disposing of power tools. I will start willowing down the avocation pieces in a few months.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Received my BAOFENG UV-5R yesterday. New thing to learn :)