Whole house water filtration

Everything you need to know about making and keeping water potable.
David
Administrator

Whole house water filtration

Post by David »

We currently use a RO under the kitchen sink but are considering a whole house filtration system in addition to the RO in the kitchen. That way the water in the bathrooms and showers are cleaner and free of chemicals and such.

Anyone use a whole house system? If so, which one and how do you like it?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Whole house water filtration

Post by David »

We're looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/iSpring-WGB32BM- ... 0cnVl&th=1
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

If I had known that I would still be living in the same house 40 years later, I would have put in a whole house filtration system. I also would have had professionals floor the attic and install electrical outlets and lighting therein as well when I bought the house instead of doing those two things years later.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

A neighbor who built a house up the road from my new house has a whole house water filtration system. He's on a well, not city water so I was kinda wondering why. The well at my cabin is very good water. My new well, probably in the same aquifer pumps very good, pure water as well. I know some wells have hard and/or iron tasting water but my water is sweet. It's so good my brother comes up to take it home for his beer making.

As for city water, it's always been my thinking that for the most part and in most places it is okay water. Yes it is treated but it's clean. Never had a problem drinking city water and never considered that filtering it was necessary.

On the other hand, there is always something like Flint...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_water_crisis
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I forgot to mention. I believe that most whole house filters act like reverse osmosis. Everything is taken out, including minerals that you might need and which are commonly available in clean city water.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've just been informed that the county health dept has to test my well water before we can use it. The well is 146 feet deep. Ummm.... :o been drinking water from it for a week and it tastes fine but you never know. The test is next Tuesday.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

You could always get a Big Berkey to be on the safe side. That's what my brother used with his well water. I have one in reserve and have been very impressed with it.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

The value of the internet and checking your assumptions demonstrated.
On November 11, 2020, I posted that reverse osmosis was probably the same as a whole house filter. It is not. A whole house filter filters out less and on a day-to-day basis allows necessary minerals to continue their journey to you.

I perceive that there is a great value to a whole house filtering system.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

We got the water loop for the new house to attach a whole house filtration system. We haven't chosen which one yet and I have time to research as the house won't be finished till late in the summer, projected for the end of July.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Maybe take some of that Stimulus money and get that Berkey....