Water filtration/disinfection/purification options

Everything you need to know about making and keeping water potable.
David
Administrator

Re: Water filtration/disinfection/purification options

Post by David »

DBSAR wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:28 pm I have a few Sawyer-Mini filter kits, one in my BOB, another in the RV, and another i use on hiking. (also have a lifestraw, but have not sued that one yet.
I have several Sawyer mini-filters but have never tried the Lifestraw. I'd be curious as to which is better overall? I haven't researched the lifestraw enough to know how much it filters or how long it can last or if it comes with a syringe to back flush like the mini-filter.

I do like the mini-filter though as I can toss it in my sling bag and it weights pretty much nada.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
DBSAR

Post by DBSAR »

David wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:04 pm
I have several Sawyer mini-filters but have never tried the Lifestraw. I'd be curious as to which is better overall? I haven't researched the lifestraw enough to know how much it filters or how long it can last or if it comes with a syringe to back flush like the mini-filter.

I do like the mini-filter though as I can toss it in my sling bag and it weights pretty much nada.
The Sawyer is my favorite one of all the different models i tested, because its compact, can be back-flush cleaned, lasts a long time, and does a great job at filtering water. (i usually pre-filter really dirty water using coffee filters first, and then attach a 1 gallon jug or water bag to the mini, then have that filter the water into another container hanging on a tree or wall. I hope to begin doing Bushcraft, survival, and preparedness videos soon ot add to my Youtube channel eventually, and water filtration/purification is one of them.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Make sure you post them on the board, I’d love to see them.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
SIGShooter

Post by SIGShooter »

Anyone concerned about viruses? I usually Steri-pen my water which deactivates all pathogens but plan to drop chemicals into filtered water after a disaster when I need large quantities of water. Basically filter water into containers using a 0.2 micron filter to remove non-viruses, and then add chemicals of one sort or another to kill viruses. Since they are generally easy to kill I figure a 30 minute exposure with Hydrogen Peroxide or even Chlorine will do the job.

Or are people not concerned about viruses even in urban areas?
David
Administrator

Post by David »

SIGShooter wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:36 pm Anyone concerned about viruses? I usually Steri-pen my water which deactivates all pathogens but plan to drop chemicals into filtered water after a disaster when I need large quantities of water. Basically filter water into containers using a 0.2 micron filter to remove non-viruses, and then add chemicals of one sort or another to kill viruses. Since they are generally easy to kill I figure a 30 minute exposure with Hydrogen Peroxide or even Chlorine will do the job.

Or are people not concerned about viruses even in urban areas?
From what I've read/researched, the danger of viruses can differ depending on location. For example, while possible, the U.S. doesn't have as great an issue with viruses as say Haiti or Mexico. However, that is in day-to-day situations and a more wide-spread or grid down situation that may very well change. So erring on the side of caution and treating for any pathogen really isn't a bad idea at all.

Taking a further look into it after reading your post, I usually have tincture of iodine available. It is effective against bacteria and virus but I just discovered it isn't effective against protozoan parasites such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia. That would be where the Sawyer Mini-filter comes in handy.

SIGShooter

Post by SIGShooter »

Yeah...luckily they are easily filtered out with any 0.2 - 0.3 filter. Hydrogen Peroxide and Chlorine Dioxide will kill Crypto so that's what I recommend to my friends as a backup instead of Iodine or other Chlorine based treatment. With filtered water they will all kill the remaining viruses but one never knows when it won't be possible to filter the water first.

None of my neighbors think it's important to have earthquake supplies so in the event that they need some sort of water treatment, and that I'm also in a charitable mood :D , I'd rather just give them some chemicals rather than one of my filters.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

SIGShooter wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:50 am Hydrogen Peroxide and Chlorine Dioxide will kill Crypto so that's what I recommend to my friends as a backup instead of Iodine or other Chlorine based treatment.
For disinfection are you using one or the other or both of the above together? Is this the regular type of hydrogen peroxide you buy at the dollar store? And what ratio are you using?

SIGShooter

Post by SIGShooter »

I am using Hydrogen Peroxide created by this device https://www.potableaqua.com/products/pa ... -purifier/

Easy to use and the only takes water and salt of one form or another to make the solution. I have many packets of table salt packed away with it since it's easier than having to carry bottles, etc. You don't even need clean water to make the solution since the act of making the solution will kill any pathogens.

There's a slight chlorine odor to the water after treatment but I have some sodium thiosulfate that I plan on adding to the water after the treatment (especially if I feel the need to over-treat the water) if people find the smell objectionable.

The sodium thiosulfate is also for removing chlorine from water treated with calcium hypochlorite (HTH) in the event I have to use it. I'm not entirely comfortable with how much HTH to use so better to add sodium thiosulfate after the treatment period in my opinion. But realistically the HTH is about my 5th treatment option so this will likely never come up.

I suppose regular hydrogen peroxide can be used but the potableaqua device is more portable and produces precisely the amount needed for a given volume of water. Also easier to pack away and test every 6 months or so for me :D
SIGShooter

Post by SIGShooter »

As for the chlorine dioxide I have a bunch of the Katadyn Micropur MP1 tablets and some bottles of Aquamira chlorine dioxide water treatment bottles but I bought those before I bought the potableaqua device. I keep them around as a just in case kind of things since they don't take up much room.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Thanks for the link, I just learned something new :)