Water filtration/disinfection/purification options

Everything you need to know about making and keeping water potable.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Water filtration/disinfection/purification options

Post by Bob »

I use Aquamuira tabs
An Aquamuira filter straw
A Sawyer or Lifestraw (?)
I have a Katydyn Hiker

After that, it is fire/boil.

I'd like to get a Berkey for home.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Yesterday the water went out in the house. After a little investigation we found out the road construction next to our neighborhood hit a line by accident. Same thing happened a couple of months ago with the electricity in the area. The water came back on last night but we are under a boil-water advisory for the next 48-72 hours. So we popped out and picked up some extra gallons for hand washing and cooking. Wasn't serious enough to break out the Big Berkey but it's nice to know it's there if/when needed.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

https://grayl.com//

Pretty pricey at $90 but it’s another option and it provides a container. Sootch00 called it compact...I would not. Personally I’ll stick with the Sawyer Mini or the Berkeley bottle.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

My choice - although I have a life straw also...and a Katydyn Hiker.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

My only issue with the Frontier and similar was that the carbon filter tended to work itself out or break off if dropped.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

In the last week or so I've had two different family members and their wives inquire into prepping with water disinfection being one of the focuses. I've recommended in both cases the Big Berkey. It's easy to get and maintain, cost effective and simple. And it works extremely well.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Will have to check it out...
right now running 55 gallon storage and have lab quality calcium hypochlorite to make bleach disinfect solution
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Big Berkey is suppose to be the only filtration system on the market that can claim it purifies the water rather than just disinfect it. That's what I read while researching it years ago before buying one.