Why you should be armed in the woods/wilderness

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
David
Administrator

Re: Why you should be armed in the woods/wilderness

Post by David »

Latest update: Handgun or Pistol Against Bear Attack: 93 cases, 97% Effective (ammoland.com)

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/update ... z6HnoK4xli
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Chatting with a guy over on Florida Shooter's Network about various woods carry guns. He says he's actually seen a female lion in Green Swamp. Bob will know where that is as it's not all that far from us. Claimed it was twice the size of the typical Florida panther (cougar). I suppose it's possible. There is a big cat rescue about a mile from my house so it isn't so far fetched to think about other places around the state and one escaping.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Touching in my previous post, here's yet another possible explanation of how a lion could be in Florida's Green Swamp.

Video: Tiger spotted in Memorial neighborhood

https://www.kagstv.com/article/news/loc ... XY4e7X7cEA

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:32 pm Chatting with a guy over on Florida Shooter's Network about various woods carry guns. He says he's actually seen a female lion in Green Swamp. Bob will know where that is as it's not all that far from us. Claimed it was twice the size of the typical Florida panther (cougar). I suppose it's possible. There is a big cat rescue about a mile from my house so it isn't so far fetched to think about other places around the state and one escaping.
Additional information from the member I've been chatting with on FSN. Couple of possible explanations are zoos that were storm damaged and led to escaped animals. Also, as strange as it sounds, drug dealers keep exotic pets i.e. big cats as a status symbol. Either one would be plausible. I remember a story of an actual lion, tiger and bear found in the basement of a drug house that got raided. Made the news as well. They ended up growing up together and would never go more than a 100 feet from each other. The bear, as far as I know, is still alive.

Reports are coming out about Jaguarundi breeding in Florida. The are a Jaguar offshoot about the size of a bobcat. More concerning is reports of Caiman and Nile crocodiles breeding in the swamps as well. Similar to the pythons overrunning the Everglades. Has become a real problem down there. Caiman and crocs would be of big concern as they are more aggressive than gators and crocs get quite a bit bigger.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I'd believe just about anything. Here in Ohio we've had plenty of strange animals on the loose.

https://nypost.com/2011/10/19/owner-kil ... e-in-ohio/
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I remember hearing about that incident. Feel bad for the animals.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

9mm Handgun puts down Charging Bear

https://americanshootingjournal.com/9mm ... down-bear/

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Handgun Ammunition for Carrying in the Woods

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/hand ... the-woods/

Interesting conclusion: Notice that certain 9 mm loads penetrated as much as the most powerful calibers tested here. As far as penetration, is concerned it appears the bullet being used is more important than the caliber.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

David wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:58 pm Handgun Ammunition for Carrying in the Woods

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/hand ... the-woods/

Interesting conclusion: Notice that certain 9 mm loads penetrated as much as the most powerful calibers tested here. As far as penetration, is concerned it appears the bullet being used is more important than the caliber.
I've been very interested in some of the newest solid copper bullets from Lehigh Defense. They sponsored my club this year so I'm going to be able to play with their 90gr Extreme Defense 9mm projectile. I think it could be pretty amazing from a 9mm pistol and a 357 rifle.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »