Solar Water Distiller

Everything you need to know about making and keeping water potable.
David
Administrator

Solar Water Distiller

Post by David »

The credit for this goes to BDC on the board. :)

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Solar Water Distiller

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Look at the first video.
1. I use only soda pop bottles to standardize the effort and keep track of actual volume.
2. Do the following instead.
a. drill a hole through two bottle tops of the same size hole.
b. obtain plastic tubing that barely fits though the holes.
c. the plastic tubing is set in the opposing caps so that the following is accomplished -
the tube extending into the lower bottle is near the top, the tube extending into the upper bottle is near the top. this means that the tube extension will be shorter on one end. ok, you ask why? the bad water evaporates in the lower chamber which you want filled up to a short distance from the short end of the tube. when the water evaporates and goes up the tube, you want the inverted upper bottle to be filled as much as possible.
d. you glue the two caps together. If necessary to enhance the seal, you can pour a little glue into the bottom of each cap.
3. when the upper bottle is nearly filled (and it is inverted), unscrew the cap from the contaminated bottle. neither cap is contaminated and the plastic tubing is not contaminated. turn the clean water bottle upright and disconnect the top on the clean water bottle. find a spare cap and then cap the clean water bottle. this is why you use standardized bottles.
4. wow! But think. You need to have a bunch of tube set ups just for one person. Are you only going to want 2 liters of clean water a day? It takes 8 hours to fill the bottle. So, I made up a dozen of more setups that can be moved from one soda bottle to another.
5. the setup handles saltwater and urine. I doubt that it handles each and EVERY contamination like radiation. It does handle bacteria and probably most viruses.