Tarp shelters

From clothing to man-made to commercial shelters.
David
Administrator

Re: Tarp shelters

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Quality tarps of different sizes - Chicago Tarp Company. Get extra grommets, grommet tool, plastic stakes.

No camping anymore. In a disturbance of nature, local civil problems, house windows will be broken and repairs may be unavailable for weeks.

Don't believe the advertisements like "State Farm is there". When you have your hurricane losses, does the insurance company come out with workmen or is it up to you?? And there might not be a motel nearby.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I have some new some tarps in case of issue with trees near house... One good storm , you never know.
But a chainsaw and tarps can fix somethings in the temp situation.
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Tom mac is correct. I am not able to use a chainsaw so I gave mine to a stepson. My back up includes a two man logging saw and a number of axes and hatchets. There will always be some guys bigger and stronger available.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

... Just a Dude...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Gnepig wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:32 am
Been a few years since we had an SEP gathering Gene. Maybe we can all get something going in the fall.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

My comments on tarps.

As a cub scout and later a boy scout over 65 years ago, I came to value tarps, pup tents and command tents. Those days of ready availability are gone.

I will share my experiences.
1. There is an outfit called Chicago Tarps. It has the old-fashioned, heavy, quality tarp materials that you do not find at Home Depot, Lowe's and hardware stores.
2. Most of the modern materials deteriorate or fail to live up to the claims.
3. I have multiple tarps. If and when shtf, there will be broken windows, lodgings with holes, a lack of sources of warmth. In the real world, it will be hard to get plywood sheeting to patch windows and holes. I do not have the proper words in mind. I have the tools, the circular pieces of metal, the 550 cord, and a pile of plastic stakes to make even tarps not designed as tents into tents and to repair tents within a few minutes.

I add another thought. I exercise outside nearly every day on the Vietnam era sleeping bag pads. If it rains and they get wet, putting it on concrete in sunshine for no more than two hours will dry it out. They are comfortable to lie upon with either the bare earth or a concrete drive way underneath. I do not know if a yoga mat has the same qualities, you might investigate.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Quote:
"Been a few years since we had an SEP gathering Gene. Maybe we can all get something going in the fall."

Keep me posted and I will let Jimmy know also...
... Just a Dude...
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Great idea.

On Shelters, I watch a guy on YouTube - Corporals's Corner.

I'm actually thinking about doing some summer camping. Winter is easy here. Need to see how the hot season goes.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

I like watching Corporal Kelly's vids also- he is entertaining and informative. I also like watching Steve Wallis do some stealth camping in a lot of weird places, some places you would never think of:

... Just a Dude...