Emergency Food Bars

Recipes, freeze-dried, deydrated and all food related threads.
David
Administrator

Emergency Food Bars

Post by David »

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultimate-Sur ... M8QAvD_BwE

I get these in the camping section of Walmart. For $5 you have food bars equaling 2400 calories that are suppose to be tasty (apple cinnamon) and don't make you thirsty. Five-year shelf life. I keep these in the vehicle for the JIC situation.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Emergency Food Bars

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Somewhere in the garage, they are there.

Remember, when you radically change your diet, the flora in your stomach and intestines must and will change. Moreover, the bulk going through your system will change and how your process and eliminate waste will change.

I will remind you of an experience of a US Army Captain in northern France. He lived on the US army supplied rations only. He did not eat local findings or scrounges. He came down with a malady and was evacuated. It was finally determined that the change in food from army kitchen to field rations was the problem.

To paraphrase a long departed gun magazine writer - you can drive a car from coast to coast with bald tires and back brakes, but why risk it? Layer your food provisions. Don't rely upon hype by any food manufacturer or distributor "I will give you a year's supply of food for less than you would spend at the supermarket (but don't try it until shtf and I am gone!). :ugeek:
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Your point is valid, however, I see these as a food source to toss in the vehicle's GHB. Something to munch on to keep an intake of calories if the shoe leather express has to be taken (for whatever reason). In other words, a short term solution rather than a long term food plan. Some inexpensive calories along with a canteen full of water and a few packs of Emergen-C for electrolyte replacement would go a long way in a pinch. Particularly in a hot-n-humid climate where you're expending both calories and hydration.

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

1. I agree
2. The Boston pressure cooker pot bombing should teach first responders/travellers/man on the street types, the following lesson about tossing a few of those bars in the car. When the active bombers were on the run, a portion of the Boston area was immediately put under curfew.

I laughed, not at the misfortune of the injured or the residents, but at the reality. With a few hours, the curfew would have to be lifted because:
a. the police did not have water and food in the squad cars;
b. the residents were unprepared to survive without pizza delivery.
Sure enough, the curfew had to be lifted even though the bad guys were known to be in the immediate area.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

The datrix package came - 3. If I use them it will not be in the situation of having more than normal exertion. Goes into car trunk. For going to ground - will last me 5 days.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I used to watch those reviews. It was good to have a solid comparison of the various offerings. Bars like the would make sense for a 72 hour pack.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:31 am I used to watch those reviews. It was good to have a solid comparison of the various offerings. Bars like the would make sense for a 72 hour pack.
Agreed. This is why I toss them in the GHB in the car. A situation might necessitate walking a mile or walking home. Either way, come calories and water (with electrolytes added) could go a long way. These things are inexpensive and easily obtainable locally. Bought mine at Walmart in the camping section.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I really like the idea of the tac-bar kit(not just because it was the best tasting). Having it self contained in a durable, easy to carry package could be very handy. The water purification tablets are a nice bonus, but I agree with Urban Prepper that they should ditch the silly belt and include a collapsible water bottle.