Words from a Bosnian Survivalist

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Words from a Bosnian Survivalist

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Re: Words from a Bosnian Survivalist

Post by bdcochran »

1. yes to the "words from a Bosnian survivalist"

2. People might read the book about the Belski brothers. It gives pointers on leadership and organization in survival situation. 1000 people came together in the woods of Belarus and survived WW2. Only a few people were related.

One day, my late wife and I had a challenge. We had to get out of Iran and go to Afghanistan. We didn't have a guide and did not speak the local languages. It meant getting up before dawn, catching a bus to the border, crossing 7 miles of no-man's land, then securing transportation to Herat, Afghanistan and making it there before dark. We knew no one in the bus.

We did it when half the bus failed in the attempt. We were able to do it because we had experience. Reading the Belski brothers will tell you in writing what you have to do. We organized at the border with strangers in under 5 minutes because all of us were experienced. The leader had been on the road for 3 years with his wife and spoke more languages than I. We organized in to a negotiation section, foraging section, and security. 9 people and their luggage in a van designed to handle 6 people.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Very interesting read.

A few key things I took away:
-you must be armed
-Being a grey man is the way to survive
-safety in numbers
-skills are extremely important to long term survival
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

What I have learned from my travels:

1. it is nearly impossible to find shoes that fit and are functional.
Last year, I disposed of all the shoes/boots that no longer fit.
Shoes are expensive and there is no way around it.
The first distinction between left and right feet in designing shoes on a mass scale took place in the American Civil War. As late as the 1990s, the Russian army was not distinguishing between right and left feet in issuing boots. Today, the front line troops are suffering from a lack of socks.
When the street people are asked what they need, the response is always a pair of shoes that fit and socks.

2. It is hard to find blue jeans outside of the US. It is difficult to find pants that fit.
Everyone of my work pants/non work pants have been altered. No praying that the old clothes will somehow fit when shtf.
I toss clothes that are stained, don't fit anymore. Makes preps and life easier.

3. I have a supply of antibiotics, fungicides, ointments in bulk and refrigerated in a separate refrigerator in the garage.
Do you like standing in line AFTER surgery and trying to get pain killers/antibiotics/OTC items at a pharmacy? I don't have to stand in line.

Sometimes, you should regard items that go bad in storage a form of insurance - batteries/medicines/tools.
Sometimes, you should regard items as necessary that take up space but will be needed after shtf.
In that category are multiple 5 gallon plastic paint cans that are food grade (look for the "2" on the bottom), with twist off tops and even a toilet seat that fits. When shtf, it is going to be too late to deal with getting buckets to carry water, protect food, serve as collection boxes, act as rainproof storage.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Shoes, I hate show shopping, but when I go, usually buy three pairs. Once I open the last one, I then go shoe shopping again. Didn't really think about the prepping benefit of having extra shoes ready to go.

I just don't like shoe shopping, yet my dislike has helped me be a little better prepared.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:41 am Shoes, I hate show shopping, but when I go, usually buy three pairs. Once I open the last one, I then go shoe shopping again. Didn't really think about the prepping benefit of having extra shoes ready to go.

I just don't like shoe shopping, yet my dislike has helped me be a little better prepared.
That's a really good point about the shoes though I have a bunch of boots and hikers I haven't worn in years so there's that to fall back on.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

This thread got me thinking, for us that are visually impaired, having spare glasses is a must. Thankfully, the last few years my prescription has barely changed, so I know have three spare sets of glasses that I can use if the need arises.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:21 am This thread got me thinking, for us that are visually impaired, having spare glasses is a must. Thankfully, the last few years my prescription has barely changed, so I know have three spare sets of glasses that I can use if the need arises.
I'd be screwed with my hearing. Wear rechargeable hearing aids which work for as long as you can recharge them. Not so good if you forget the charger or the batteries eventually wear out. My old ones had replaceable batteries so you could stock them and take them anywhere.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I'm glad the article is bringing up points to consider. :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Mac66 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:38 pm
Bmyers wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:21 am This thread got me thinking, for us that are visually impaired, having spare glasses is a must. Thankfully, the last few years my prescription has barely changed, so I know have three spare sets of glasses that I can use if the need arises.
I'd be screwed with my hearing. Wear rechargeable hearing aids which work for as long as you can recharge them. Not so good if you forget the charger or the batteries eventually wear out. My old ones had replaceable batteries so you could stock them and take them anywhere.
Can they be charged via a solar panel? I know that only helps as long as the batteries stay good and take a charge.