So - adequate for SD shooting?

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bob
Board Founder

So - adequate for SD shooting?

Post by Bob »

I also shot my Walther PPS this morning. Trying to keep it on the "regular" range list. I shoot it no matter what else I take.

I was shooting at 1rd per second or slightly slower. MAybe a little faster on a couple. Bottom line, not slow fire. Is this what I should exp[ect from a 3.5" barrel? Because with my USP, Baretta, or whatever else, I'd have used wayyyy less paper.

Top right box was a called flyer.
I have been working with assorterd grips. I was paying attention to not push with right hand finger.
Also, now shooting left eye / right hand, with left foot forward.
Anyway, after warming up and shooting my Ruger also, here are about 40 rounds of 124g at 7yds.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: So - adequate for SD shooting?

Post by Ronin.45 »

Not to be the internet a-hole, but no, that's not good enough. At 7 yards and 1 shot per second or less, you should be able to keep them in 2-3" pretty easily.
The good part is that you're practicing. Keep at it and you'll get there.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

No offense taken. Opinions vary.

Yeah - I agree. With my full sizes - not a problem. But the combo of small gun, big hand, and short sites...don't know how good I'll get.

No doubt I need more trigger time with this gun and that is starting to happen.

Still, don't know how good I'll get.

At the end of the day, those are all Minute of Chest - and that is what I'm carrying. But definitely need to work on it. What was scary is I saw people shooting full size not doing that well.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I use the Paper-plate rule.... all shots should be in the 8-9" circle.

Short barrel, small gun does make it harder.
You can't fix stupid !
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

That meets "most shots" in the plate

But yeah...needs work.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

The better you shoot at the range, the better you'll shoot for defense. If your accuracy degrades under stress, that 8-9" group could easily be 16-18".
At 7 yards, under zero stress, you should really be putting all shots into a ragged hole, but I know that's unrealistic for some. That's why I said 2-3".
Practice until your group is half of what you think is acceptable. Then start adding stress.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Observations:
1. shot placement - where?
The Cambodian Army does have the equivalent of SWAT units. I was in a class where a Lt. Col. complained that his people were not capable of shooting an exposed arm, an exposed leg. He was shown proper human ergonomics in shooting. He made the arrangements with the US and came back and trained with fully auto Glocks.
2. shot placement - human target.
You initially shoot for the base of the throat. A hit slightly high, to the left, to the right, or down an inch or so is still fatal. A bladder shot is also very good.
3. GIs were taught to shoot center mass at a time when people were not taught how to estimate distances. If a person were standing and a soldier was shoot a 30-06 Garand or WW1 bolt action rifle, the hit would be anywhere from the feet to the head over a range of 600 yards. GIs were not taught to shoot an exposed body part at all.

4. The dumbest advice given to shooters in a defensive situation is two to the chest and one to the head. If a person is hit by any shot, he is not going to be standing up waiting for a head shot. Instead, you have an option. You can be trained to understand human ergonomics and that it is YOU in framing towards the target allows accuracy. If you have proper ergonomics, you walk and shoot the same spot on a target repeatedly, ditto to quick draw and shooting from the hip.

If you have a private range, here is a good stress test that was sprung on a group. Everyone was taken out 20 feet to the target line. Upon command, you drew. The target was the base of the throat. You will not fire unless you are in motion backwards. You will do a minimum of two reloads while in motion backwards. That is certainly not taught by any police force. It is not in most of the world paramilitaries. But that is reality, not static shooting on a fair Saturday morning.