Bic or Zippo (or other)

From primitive methods to advanced tools, everything you need to start a fire.

What do you prefer to EDC for fire-starting?

Bic style lighter
75%
Zippo
13%
Peanut lighter
No votes
Jet torch
No votes
Electric
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

David
Administrator

Bic or Zippo (or other)

Post by David »

Well it wouldn't be a fire section if I didn't have my favorite Bic, Zippo or other poll.

I have a mini-Bic in my little Maxpedition Micro Pocket organizer. However, my favorite is my orange Zippo that I always have in my pocket. And of course I always have my Peanut lighter.

So what is your choice of fire-starting EDC?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdc
Board Founder

Re: Bic or Zippo (or other)

Post by bdc »

No edc fire starter. In the car, multiple devices for starting a fire. Ditto at home.

I have a box of zippos at home without having fuel in them. The lighters would dry out in my experience. I do have a couple of cans of lighter fluid for them. They are in a separate, clear plastic snapware container. The is done with other means of starting fires and boxes of matches are stored in ziplock baggies within the larger plastic containers. If shtf, I want to be able to distribute matches/batteries/small radios and already have them protected from any potential bad elements within ziplock plastic baggies.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

BIC; and you still have a flint spark if it goes empty
You can't fix stupid !
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I prefer BIC for inexpensive lighters. As Tom said, you get a flint striker if the fluid is gone.
I also like waterproof containers with good matches.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Exotac makes a Firesleeve for the Bic lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/Exotac-fireSLEEV ... 9KR1G1HZMM

Comes in black, orange or glow-in-the-dark.

https://huckberry.com/store/exotac/cate ... firesleeve

They've come down in price a bit. Originally I think they were like $25 give-or-take. Still think it's a $9,99 item but it does look to be useful.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Basically a big peanut lighter...

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Just discovered these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W3 ... UTF8&psc=1

I placed an order for that deal of 12 which should be a lifetime supply.

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Let us know if it works.

Let's do a comparison of the following:
gasoline can vs. zippo can.

Gasoline and zippo fluid will evaporate at room temperature unless strictly containerized. The gasoline container is designed to hold liquid and the openings/walls of the containers are specifically designed to hold liquid. The Zippo simply opens in the middle.

Take out the guts of a zippo. Fill the empty zippo lighter to a level just below where it opens. Now close it. Put it in your pocket and walk around with it. You probably would not because you would not trust that seal between the upper and lower portions of the container might open. So, let's do a different test. Fill it part way, as described. Now, use duct tape only to keep the top from separating from the bottom. Do not seal the seam where the upper and lower portions of the lighter come together. Now, run a third test. Fill the empty container as previously described. Now you can seal up the seam with duct tape. Put the lighter in your pocket and walk around.

I would venture a guess that putting a gasket at the bottom of the lighter doesn't affect the seal of the entire unit.

Reluctantly, years ago, I gave up on the idea of keeping zippos filled. I kept the fluid in the factory sealed container of fluid specifically designed to hold the fluid indefinitely. I have no idea how long zippo fluid would be good if simply left in the factory sealed container. However, I had no problem using fluid from a factory sealed container 10 years later. And, I probably will buy another can this next week.