Pistol/SBR/Rifle Go-bag

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Pistol/SBR/Rifle Go-bag

Post by Ronin.45 »

Mac66 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:36 am
Ronin.45 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 pm A shoulder stock would be the best option. Gimmicky guns have little real world viability.
A Shockwave may have some value as a truck gun and/or maybe for grizzly bear protection in Alaska or out west. It would be better than any pistol in that regard.
For bear defense I'm assuming you're talking slugs. Now I'm picturing someone trying to accurately shoot slugs at a charging bear with a shockwave.
I'll take a proper handgun that I can shoot fast and accurately.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Bears: Lever 45-70, or 18" with slugs.

But...Great point by Dave on small package/high utility for the Shockwaves. I'm sticking w/ .20 cal.

Love it for what it is. An indoor upclose shooter.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Ronin.45 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:32 pm
Mac66 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:36 am
Ronin.45 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 pm A shoulder stock would be the best option. Gimmicky guns have little real world viability.
A Shockwave may have some value as a truck gun and/or maybe for grizzly bear protection in Alaska or out west. It would be better than any pistol in that regard.
For bear defense I'm assuming you're talking slugs. Now I'm picturing someone trying to accurately shoot slugs at a charging bear with a shockwave.
I'll take a proper handgun that I can shoot fast and accurately.
In the last "Brief Case Gun" Paul Harrel video Dave posted Paul shoots the Shockwave pretty fast and accurately starting around the 20:40 mark. I think with a little practice it would be a viable option. But yeah, I'm talking slugs for bear. I think with enough practice/training one could handle it. But you're right, an appropriately powerful handgun is probably a better option.
Last edited by Mac66 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I've sold or traded all of my shotguns and rifles with the exception of my PCC's and my .22 rifles. Don't want the recoil on my chest. Plus right now I don't think I could handle a regular shotgun much less a Shockwave.

I'll stick with the Sub 2K for the Go-bag.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Saw a .20g Shocwave in a shop. Verrrrrrrry tempted!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well...go for it!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I need a whole new SG oriented bag then!!!!

And a crap ton of 20g
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Originally I was thinking the Sub 2K combined with the Glock 45 for the go-bag. And that's still a good idea. But now that I've bought the G35 I may change over to that since it has the ability to be a multi-caliber pistol. I can pick up a 9mm conversion barrel (likely soon) as well as a 357sig barrel from Lone Wolf for $150 each. I've read good comments on their barrels for simple drop-in functionality.

While 357sig isn't likely to be a major factor in a SHTF situation the 9mm barrel could definitely be a big plus. And 40S&W is still popular enough as well and often is available when 9mm isn't. So pair the G35 with an additional barrel or two with the Sub 2K sounds like a good plan since the mags in 9mm are compatible.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I really need to paint and get that AR pistol back together! It's been apart so long it will be like a new gun!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:41 am Originally I was thinking the Sub 2K combined with the Glock 45 for the go-bag. And that's still a good idea. But now that I've bought the G35 I may change over to that since it has the ability to be a multi-caliber pistol. I can pick up a 9mm conversion barrel (likely soon) as well as a 357sig barrel from Lone Wolf for $150 each. I've read good comments on their barrels for simple drop-in functionality.

While 357sig isn't likely to be a major factor in a SHTF situation the 9mm barrel could definitely be a big plus. And 40S&W is still popular enough as well and often is available when 9mm isn't. So pair the G35 with an additional barrel or two with the Sub 2K sounds like a good plan since the mags in 9mm are compatible.
Well, I did buy a 9mm conversion barrel for the G35. Suppose to be from a company that made barrels for Lone Wolf but was unstamped. OTD for $110. I haven’t vetted it yet but it hand cycled various HP’s just fine. Once I get it with both the 40 & 9 barrels I’ll make this the go-bag pistol. Combined with the Sub 2K they will share 9mm mags. And I’ll toss in a couple of 40 mags, which normally can also cycle 9mm if needed.

Combined with the 3-n-1 USPc and it’s a good set up all the way around.