Dealing with injury

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Dealing with injury

Post by Mac66 »

Glad to hear the surgery was successful and you are healing well.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The PT continues. Through the use of KT tape the swelling in the back of my hand has gone way down. You can now see the veins and metacarpals in the back of my hand. Fingers are still slightly swollen, can't put my wedding band on yet. Wrist is still slightly swollen compared to the other.

Therapist is pleased with my progress. I can easily touch my thumb to all my fingers. I can't make a tight fist yet but it's better than before. I cannot rack the slide on a pistol yet, though I've only tried with a 19X and my P250. I'm sure I could do the wife's 380EZ. I just don't have the clamping strength yet but it's improving.

ROM for the wrist is better bending back than it is forward but both are improving. Still very stiff in the fingers, particularly when I wake up. Still using heat before working on the hand. I'll continue PT through the end of the month and then I guess I'm on my own. Therapist said it may take up to a year to get it all back.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Glad to hear of the progress! Keep at it!!!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I was going to end the PT last week but they offered to extend the prescription for an additional 6 sessions. I accepted. I've come a long way since the injury. I can't make a full closed fist yet but it's getting close. I really want to be able to rack a slide so that's a goal. Strength is increasing in that hand.

It's a process.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

keep it up... sometimes it hurts... slow but sure !
You can't fix stupid !
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

For any kind of PT - more is more!

And while you can't rack a slide, I'm sure you know half a dozen ways to get it done without that hand....
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:29 pm For any kind of PT - more is more!

And while you can't rack a slide, I'm sure you know half a dozen ways to get it done without that hand....
I do :D

That's where a good gun belt like the Kore Essentials comes in handy.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

A good Gun belt? Link to a vid or something? Or using downward pressure on the belt/holster itself?
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:40 pm A good Gun belt? Link to a vid or something? Or using downward pressure on the belt/holster itself?
As far as a good gun belt, Kore Essential is outstanding.

https://www.koreessentials.com/

For years I'd have a good pistol, a good holster and then I'd skimp on the belt. Even though I'd use a good belt at work I just never put 2+2 together to realize I needed a good belt off-duty. The Kore Essential is rigid but still extremely comfortable and it really distributes the weight of the pistol and whatever else you may have on your belt i.e. spare mag, multi-tool etc. It makes a world of difference.

As far as chambering, you 'can' use friction on the top of the slide if you've got a good pair of jeans on. But it's better if you have a pistol with a rear sight that is straigh-walled so that it can be used to catch on a belt, pocket, edge of table etc.

Take this Glock 26:

The front of the rear sight is flat/straight which is better to catch on something. Whereas this Glock rear sight is sloped and not all that conducive to catching on something:

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I agree with the belt. I purchased a Crossbreed belt and it is much nicer than the $10 belt from Walmart. Makes a big difference in how the gun sits on you pants.