Capacity

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Capacity

Post by David »

Not as applicable to private citizen carry, it is an interesting article.

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

https://www.police1.com/officer-shootin ... pnqqHxwMq/
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Erich

Post by Erich »

Interesting!
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Yeah, interesting
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I don't know why this topic reminds me of this video

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Erich wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:15 pmInteresting!
Mac66 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:06 pmYeah, interesting
It does give a moments pause. Again, not likely in any shooting a private citizen may be involved in, but then again it isn't out of the realm of possibility either. Lots of factors come into play.

Are you home with access to a good supply of ammo or are you stuck on the side of the road at O'dark hundred?

Is it one attacker or is it multiples?

Is/are the attacker(s) running on pure adrenaline, on drugs, body armor?

While the average is always touted to be on the low side there will always be outliers. And from a practical prepping perspective it doesn't hurt to consider situations where you are away from your main supplies and may be away for an extended time.

One of those situations where practicality meets what is realistic and reasonable.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Considering the chance of even getting into a shooting is pretty remote, the chance of getting into a long drawn out gun battle is extremely slim. Unless of course you are growing (illegal) weed and a drug cartel or local stoners are coming to rip you off.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:00 pm Considering the chance of even getting into a shooting is pretty remote, the chance of getting into a long drawn out gun battle is extremely slim. Unless of course you are growing (illegal) weed and a drug cartel or local stoners are coming to rip you off.
A lot depends on the persons location, but it's not quite as remote as one would think.

https://secondcalldefense.org/self-defense-statistics/

An excerpt from the article;

The Center for Disease Control estimated a high of 2.5 million defensive gun incidents per year. That’s about 208,333 per month and well over 6,800 per day.

That seems rather high, but I've seen that number touted elsewhere as well. However, on the flip side you'll have some articles report a different number;

https://www.thetrace.org/2022/06/defens ... with-guns/

And excerpt from the article;

Taken together, that’s 70,040 instances of defensive gun use per year.

It should be noted that the high number is a pro-gun site whereas the lower number is an anti-gun site. What is the actual number? I would imagine it depends on the criteria of the study. I know that anti-gun sites deliberately skew the numbers in there favor. The pro-gun sites toute the CDC. So perhaps somewhere inbetween. Even the low number of 70k per year is a lot of shootings. Yes, only a fraction of the number of gun owners but still that's a lot of incidents in-and-of-itself. Considering the source of those numbers I would suspect the numbers are indeed on the low side.