I'm gone

The place to gather and chat about any and all topics not covered elsewhere on the board.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: I'm gone

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:54 am
Mac66 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:46 pm Btw...when I was in Qarqortoq I walked into a hardware store and they had rifles for sale. All bolt actions, mostly Savage. Mostly in 30.06, 7 mm mag etc. Prices ranged from about 3200 Norway Krone to 3600. That's about $330-360 USD. Ammo was about $20/box
I wonder if they have a ban on semi-auto rifles?
Pistols and semi auto rifles/shotguns are not allowed.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Got home last night. Will have pics up soon.

General reflections on where we visited....

Ireland....beautiful green country. Fascinating history steeped in victimization. The Irish (for some reason) were the some of most persecuted people (except for Jews) in Europe for thousands of years. The British, vikings, British, Romans, British all had their go. Now very parochial.
-Fairly small country with 5 million people in it but influences throughout the world.
-Many if not most Americans have some ties to Ireland.
-The "troubles" in Northern Ireland are inexplicable. Goes back to the 1670s
-You can tell people have been in Ireland for thousands of years. Not only are there old castles and buildings going back to the vikings and Romans everywhere but every road is paved. There is not a dirt/gravel road anywhere in the country except for farm roads. We traveled by private driver all over the back roads, nope...not a unpaved road anywhere.
-The whole country is like Disneyworld. Picturesque, well groomed, well kept, packed with tourists.
-Being an island, cost of living is fairly high. Gas was $6/gallon, diesel about $5/gallon.
-Guinness is the national drink. It's everywhere and about the price of any other beer, though not cheap...about $8/pint. Which is cheaper than most bars in the US for a Guinness. The other stout is Murphy's which is popular in some of the small villages. You are either a Guinness man or a Murphy's man. I tried Murphy's, I like Guinness better, so I guess I'm a G man.
-We tried to eat Irish food while there. Most of the B&Bs we stayed at had a full Irish b'fast i.e, toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, black pudding, biscuits. Not too different than an American b'fast except for the black pudding which is made from blood. It's actually pretty good. Fish and chips (french fries) with mashed peas is big there and very good. Irish stew etc. Restaurants are expensive. We usually ate b'fast at our B&B, skipped lunch and ate simple in the evening. Celebrated our 43 wedding anniversary in Dublin with fish & chips and Guinness and shots of Jameson.
-Speaking of Jameson...we went to their Distillery for a tour. It's been around for a a couple hundred years and you tour the old historic distillery not the place where it's made now. They do give you a tasting and free samples. The tour isn't cheap however. And you would think a bottle of Jameson's would be less expensive at the distillery than elsewhere. Nope. A liter was $32 US. We bought one in a local liquor store for $30 (which we drank) and did find a full liter bottle of the "distillery reserve" in the duty free shop at the airport to bring home for $28. It's about $25 for a 750ml bottle (aka a fifth) in the US where I live.

Iceland...basically a big volcanic rock sitting out in the north Atlantic. Again a relatively small country, 350K people.
-Very parochial attitudes. I had a conversation with a tour guide who tried to tell me what was wrong with America. I had to explain that the US was 1,000 times larger in both area and population. Not to mention the extreme diversity culturally and geographically. Iceland is tiny with a 98% common ethnicity so WTF did he know about the US? He kind of shut up after that.
- Being on a island that doesn't produce much the cost of living is very high. Gas is $7/gallon. Food is expensive. Beautiful country in a rustic, rugged kind of way. Lots of mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes. They basically heat the country and run power off of geothermal and hydro power. If you want to know about Iceland watch the movie Eurovision:The Story of Fire Saga. It's a comedy starring Will Farrel on Netflix. Much of it was filmed in Iceland. Kind of makes fun of their culture but is pretty close. We went to some of the locations in the film.
-Food is expensive in Iceland. We went out for hamburgers and a beer one night. Cost was about $66 for two hamburgers/fries and beers. Beers were like $12/ea. We had Dominoes pizza twice while there. A large pizza cost us $26. We usually have coffee in the afternoon. A small 6 oz cup was $4.
-Oh, and they don't use cash in Iceland. Everything is done by credit/debit cards. So it's good to pick a credit card that automatically converts your money from the local currency at no charge.

Greenland...The only place in GL that isn't perpetually covered in ice is along the southern coasts in the summer time. Inhabited by Inuit people (a very handsome race) it is fairly independent though governed from afar by Norway. Very beautiful country. Very small population, sparsely inhabited. Main industry is sustenance fishing. We were only there for 2 days but pretty much saw everything GL had to offer.

More later...
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Ireland...
BTW, every field in Ireland is surrounded by a 3 ft high hand built rock wall.
Blarney Castle

Most of the signs in Ireland are in Irish (Gaelic) and English. In some of the more southern counties the signs are in Irish only and the people speak mostly Irish. Irish is the national language and is compulsory in school. Btw, that's pronounced Kin Ka In. The L, H and M are silent
Last edited by Mac66 on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:37 am, edited 8 times in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Iceland...
The mountain in the back ground is the one in Jules Verne's book Journey to the Center of the Earth. It's the entry way to get to the center of the earth.
10,000 year old glacier
Our cruise ship in Akureyri
Godafoss or Waterfall of the Gods. When the vikings decided to go Christian they dumped their pagan statues into the pool at the bottom of the falls.
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Sounds like you have had a wonderful vacation.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:01 am Sounds like you have had a wonderful vacation.
Yeah, a once in a lifetime kind of thing
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Entrance to Prince Christian sound in Greenland. Saw lots of waterfalls, glaciers and icebergs.. Kinda foggy when we got there.
[url=https://
imgur.com/nCLd8d6]Image[/url]Image
Glacier, waterfalls and icebergs all at the same time.
This glacier is 3 miles away and at least 500 feet tall at the forward edge.
Stopped in Qarqortoq, southern coast of Greeland. Population 3500.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

St. John's Newfoundland. The easternmost city on the north American continent.

Entrance to SJ harbor. The protrusion on the hill to the right is "signal hill" where Marconi sent the first transatlantic radio signal.
signal hill
St. Johns

Spear Point, the eastern most point in North America
Last edited by Mac66 on Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Halifax Harbor, there's an old fort in the middle of the harbor
The light house at Peggy's Cove.
Peggy's Cove is a small, quaint fishing village about 40 minute south of Halifax. My parents took us up through Canada to Montreal then Quebec to Nova Scotia and Peggy's Cove in a travel trailer in 1967. From there we went across the Bay of Fundy to Bar Harbor Maine by ferry and then down the east coast. Peggy's Cove is a lot more touristy now than in 1967 but still very picturesque.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Just found my pics of Northern Ireland. NI is part of the UK and separate from the Republic of Ireland in the south. The "troubles" started when King William of Orange of the Netherlands and king of England invaded Ireland in 1690 and drove out the Catholics, and installed protestants in all the government offices. Eventually after centuries of trying, the rest of (Catholic) Ireland gained independence in 1921. Followed by 2 years of civil war among the Catholic counties. Belfast and 5 surrounding counties were a protestant stronghold and formed Northern Ireland. They remained loyal and part of the UK.

This mural is in the Protestant section.
A Protestant martyr to the cause
More murals in the Protestant section

A martyr on the Catholic side. Bobby Sands an IRA terrorist who died in prison of a hunger strike.

The "Peace Wall" It's 30' high, topped with barbed wire and 5 miles long surrounding the Catholic section of town. People from all over the world come and write messages of peace on it.

Elsewhere in Northern Ireland is the Giant's Causeway. A rock formation along the east coast.

Dunseverick Castle

And that's Scotland on the horizon about 30 miles away
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.