Taurus G2C?

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Taurus G2C?

Post by David »

I hope it works itself out.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Taurus G3c update

Post by Mac66 »

I got the G3c up to the property over the weekend. It jammed initially with hollow points but I subsequently ran two more mags through it without a hickup. I then ran 4 mags of ball (48 rounds) through it without a malfunction. I also shot my G2c for comparison.

Some initial thoughts...

- The sights on both have tiny white dots. very hard to see. I enhanced the 3c's sights with orange paint which made the sights much larger and easier to see. Made a big difference.

-Both guns shoot and recoil the same but the trigger on the 3c is much better than on the 2. The 2's trigger stacks up and is hard to press at times. But... I didn't have any problem with the 2s trigger like I did the first time I shot it. Either the problem fixed itself or I was doing it wrong. The 3's trigger, while not light, is at least consistent.

-Both are reasonably accurate. I hung a 10" paper plate on a tree 20 yards from my back porch and shooting pretty casually put all rounds on the plate. When the weather gets better and the snow melts I'll take both over to my range and sort them out.

I'll probably keep the 3c but am debating whether to sell the 2c. I like the size and capacity but that trigger is wonky.
Last edited by Mac66 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erich

Post by Erich »

I'm glad the G3c is working for you, and I'm not surprised. I'm given to understand (though you should confirm before doing anything) the G3c takes Glock sights.

I agree with you on the G2c trigger design - I'd not recommend the gun to anyone because of it. I did a fix to mine that works great but that I won't go into here.

I figure the G2c is worth approximately nothing in trade and isn't worth my time to sell, so I have it locked in the wagon in a hidden safe - just so I always have a car gun. The G3c is a frequent carry companion (albeit with the longer G3 barrel that I recently picked up for very little).

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Good point about the G2c. Not sure it's worth the effort to try to sell when It could be a passable back up.

Apparently someone sells a replacement trigger that solves the stacking problem and removes the second strike capability. I've never seen a center fire cartridge that went off on a second strike. If the center fire primer is dead, it's dead. Rimfire is different. Center fire never.
Anyway, I left the 2c at the wood's house.
Still getting comfortable with the trigger on the 3c. Need to run it through some drills before carrying it. I'll be going back up to the woods house over the next couple weeks. There's still a lot of snow on the ground back by my range so it might be till the end of the month before I get back there.

That said, I do really like the size and grip on both the 2c and 3c. They are pretty compact for carrying but not so small to make them uncomfortable to shoot.

I do like the idea of a longer barrel. Doesn't affect concealment and gives better ballistics with carry ammo.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Mac66 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:26 am I've never seen a center fire cartridge that went off on a second strike. If the center fire primer is dead, it's dead. Rimfire is different. Center fire never.
It's funny you should mention that! :D I've had it happen before (often with handloads in which I'd improperly seated the primer, but very occasionally with factory ammo), and I just had it happen last month with the G3c. Here's what I wrote at the time on another forum:
Something interesting happened at the range today: I got to use the second-strike double-action on the G3C(XL).

I was shooting Norma's 115-grain "range and training" ball (made by the international RUAG corporation) and, in the middle of a magazine, CLICK.

How bizarre. I stopped myself from tap-rack-retrying, smiled and pulled the trigger again. CLICK.

Third time was a charm. (POW!)

I didn't chase down the case to examine it - I'd suspect either a sub-quality primer or one that hadn't been seated fully. Stuff happens, and it seems to happen more frequently with the crap lines of otherwise respectable ammo makers (I will no longer buy CCI Blazer Brass, for example, although Federal American Eagle still holds a place of esteem in my practice purchases).

Anyhow, I was pleased with how the gun's design handles the issue. I know the vaunted tap/rack method is well established in the muscle memories of many professionals, but it sure is simpler and faster to just stroke a centerfire round a second time (even if this required a third) in the infrequent case of a bad primer.

The ammo at issue
https://normashooting.com/shop/caliber/ ... ng-qty-50/

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

That is the first time I've ever heard of second strike working. Like you I'd guess the primer wasn't seated and took two hits to put it right. Usually if a center fired primer is dead, it's dead and no amount of banging away at it is going to change that.
Erich

Post by Erich »

I'm kinda cheap and have shot a lot of crappy factory ammo over the decades. A LOT. :oops: But, it's rare to have this happen!

More rare is a squib . . . I had one of those once, too - with factory ammo.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'm digging that longer barrel. Where'd you get it?
Erich

Post by Erich »

Mac66 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:02 pm I'm digging that longer barrel. Where'd you get it?
Taurus! I paid a few bucks more for the DLC version, but they start at $50 and they were in stock a month ago. 8-)

POI did not seem changed, but velocities definitely improved. For instance, SIG-Sauer V-crown 115-grainers had done 1177 or 1145 fps (different range trips) from the 3.3" tube on previous measurements; though much colder, they did 1216 from the 4". Still a tiny group exactly at POA at 10 yards - they're still living in the gun. The 124-grain variant had done 1052 fps before but did 1191 from the longer barrel. And Federal's AE 147-gr FMJ FPs did 908.7 from the short barrel in warm weather, but 954.5 today (and they're still inaccurate from the longer barrel - I guess Taurus' twist doesn't get along with these, which is odd because they're generally accurate in my other nines). In every instance, standard deviations went down, too.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Erich wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:29 am
Mac66 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:02 pm I'm digging that longer barrel. Where'd you get it?
Taurus! I paid a few bucks more for the DLC version, but they start at $50 and they were in stock a month ago. 8-)

POI did not seem changed, but velocities definitely improved. For instance, SIG-Sauer V-crown 115-grainers had done 1177 or 1145 fps (different range trips) from the 3.3" tube on previous measurements; though much colder, they did 1216 from the 4". Still a tiny group exactly at POA at 10 yards - they're still living in the gun. The 124-grain variant had done 1052 fps before but did 1191 from the longer barrel. And Federal's AE 147-gr FMJ FPs did 908.7 from the short barrel in warm weather, but 954.5 today (and they're still inaccurate from the longer barrel - I guess Taurus' twist doesn't get along with these, which is odd because they're generally accurate in my other nines). In every instance, standard deviations went down, too.
So basically a standard G3 bbl?

https://www.shoptaurus.com/taurus-t-o-r ... 3-10024874