Your choice(s) for SHTF weapons

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Strayz

Re: Your choice(s) for SHTF weapons

Post by Strayz »

Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:51 pm Even though some don't like them, Glock has a bunch of things in it's favor for prepping.
I am one of those that do not like Glock. I own 2 for convince sake, and possible trade bait.

As far as SHTF, I have to ask is it a grab what fits in the Jeep and go or am I at my safer than home location?
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:27 pm
Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:51 pm Even though some don't like them, Glock has a bunch of things in it's favor for prepping.
I am one of those that do not like Glock. I own 2 for convince sake, and possible trade bait.

As far as SHTF, I have to ask is it a grab what fits in the Jeep and go or am I at my safer than home location?
Your choice(s) for any situation you might feel is realistic for your area.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Rifle, Pistol, Blade & Melee

Actually a couple of good videos. Got me thinking about the four items I would chose (from what I have already);

Rifle: I like the Sub 2K in 9mm. It has a lot of pluses for this type of scenario. First, it's light weight. This is important if I'm going to be moving on foot for extended distances. Second, it folds up so it can fit into a small back pack very easily when not needed. Saves me from having it in my hands all the time or on a sling which could always get tangled up going through thick brush. Third, it's a PCC so it can share the same ammo and magazines as my pistol. I think that is a great plus. Glock mags can hold a good amount of ammo compared to many other types of long guns, even up to 30+ round capacities. And Glock mags are smaller to carry than say an AK or AR magazine. While not as 'powerful' as a true rifle, I agree with YM in that I'm looking to avoid combat and not engage in it. And a 9mm round coming out of a 16 inch barrel isn't exactly a weak round to begin with. So the Sub 2K would be my go-to choice for this scenario.

Pistol: My first thought was my Glock 19X because it can hold up to 20 rounds standard. But I think I'd likely go with my Glock 22. Why? First, while the 20 rounds of 9mm on tap in the 19X is great, 16 rounds of 40 S&W is just as great. Secondly, I have a 9m conversion barrel in addition to the regular 40 barrel. So now I have a 2-in-1 pistol utilizing two very popular/plentiful calibers. This doubles my options of resupply along the way. And in 9mm it makes it compatible with my Sub 2K. I would likely carry it in the 9mm configuration for the magazine compatibility option using G17 mags which bump me up to 18 rounds of 9mm on tap. The 40 S&W barrel and spare mags can be kept in reserve as they aren't taking up much space.

Blade: I'd have to go with my Gerber LMF II. It can be made into a spear if needed. Has a sharpener on the sheath. I've duct taped a ferro rod to the back. It has a skull crusher style pommel that can break glass or heads. Full tang blade for strength. Comfortable handle. Partial serrations and overall it is a size that isn't too big or too small.

Melee: My police straight baton. Why? Well, I'm an instructor in the baton and I'm very proficient in it's use. I can jab, strike, sweep, push, choke, lock joints and create distance. It's simple and easy to carry. Utilitarian uses like poking around in hard to reach/see areas as well. Might not be as sexy as say a katana or battle axe, but I know how to use it and have decades of experience with it. And it's been used as a melee weapon by police as far back as forever. It simply works.

aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:01 am In another thread, Bob began discussing choices for SHTF situations. It's always a good topic of discussion so I figured I'd get the ball rolling and start a thread.

This thread can be about the 'one gun' you thing every prepper should have, or which three guns they should have or simply about the ones you have. Is there one platform that covers all your needs? Do you have specific platforms for specific purposes? Which do you recommend? What about ammo selection and amount of ammo to have on hand? What about maintenance and cleaning for the long term? What about storage and keeping the weapon(s) safe?

Varied opinions can be helpful to someone new looking at the topic.
I'd say the environment has a lot to do with the choices.
I'm not going to go with the one gun idea since we are planning
Urban - Glock 26 w/extended mags, 9mm carbine (size, weight and can carry a lot of rounds, 26 backs up this gun and you only have to carry 1 type of ammo), suppressed ruger 10/22
Suburban - same as urban
Heavily wooded - e.g. Alabama - Glock 26 w/extended mags, ar 10, suppressed ruger 10/22
No woods - e.g. Southern Arizona. - glock 26 w/extended mags, ar 15, suppressed ruger 10/22
David
Administrator

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:08 pm Glock 26 w/extended mags
I considered my G26 along with my 19X. Generally speaking, the G26 has a lot to offer over it's larger brothers in that it is a small pistol that shoots like a big pistol and can use all the larger magazines. And when I carried the G26 it was with a G19 mag and an Xgrip. Just a really good option.

I had to go with the G22 though since I have both 40 and 9mm barrels. That gave me a 2-in-1 pistol which I don't have with the G26 and is still compatible with my PCC option. If I didn't have the G22 though it would either be the G26 or 19X. Probably the G26 would get the ultimate nod.

aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:20 pm
I considered my G26 along with my 19X. Generally speaking, the G26 has a lot to offer over it's larger brothers in that it is a small pistol that shoots like a big pistol and can use all the larger magazines. And when I carried the G26 it was with a G19 mag and an Xgrip. Just a really good option.

I had to go with the G22 though since I have both 40 and 9mm barrels. That gave me a 2-in-1 pistol which I don't have with the G26 and is still compatible with my PCC option. If I didn't have the G22 though it would either be the G26 or 19X. Probably the G26 would get the ultimate nod.
That's a good point on the g22 barrels. SHTF you don't know what ammo you might find.

I, and others, have found they shoot the g26 better then the 19.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I'm sticking with my original choices of 9mm handgun, PCC, and rimfire, but I'll be more specific.

Custom G17 with suppressor

LW G9 Suppressed SBR
Old pic before light added

10/22 integral
David
Administrator

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:26 pm
David wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:20 pm

That's a good point on the g22 barrels. SHTF you don't know what ammo you might find.

I, and others, have found they shoot the g26 better then the 19.
I know I can shoot the G26 every bit as well as a compact or full size. The more I think about it though, going with a 40 S&W model and then adding a 9mm conversion barrel makes a lot of sense. My 19X is fine as-is since it has a dedicated role of night stand pistol. But for overall inventory it's nice to have several pistols that are multi-caliber. Even 357sig just to have. I don't think I'd go out of my way to get an extra 357sig conversion barrel but a couple of my pistols came with the extra barrel so at least it's an option. No where near as practical, from a prepping perspective, as a 9mm barrel but hey, didn't cost me anything so it's there.

I wouldn't mind picking up either a USPc in 40 or a P2000sk in 40.
Ronin.45 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:01 pm I'm sticking with my original choices of 9mm handgun, PCC, and rimfire, but I'll be more specific.

Custom G17 with suppressor

LW G9 Suppressed SBR
Old pic before light added

10/22 integral

Now all you need is a SHTF blade and melee weapon :lol: