Capacity

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Capacity

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:45 pm Yeah... I have upped my numbers instead of a single extra mag I carry 2 now.

No, I am not paranoid, and if anyone calls me that, I ask, "who else did you tell?"
One man's paranoia is another man's prudent preparedness :mrgreen:

I know I've told this before, but me and a couple of buddies took the off-duty carry combat course. I had a P30sk with, IIRC, a 12-round mag in the pistol and a couple of 12 or 15-rounders. My buddy had his G26 with G19 mags and my other buddy had a Walther PPS with a 7-rounder and 7 or 8 round back up. All the scenarios were taken from real off-duty situations from around the country. So none of it was made up B.S., they had all happened to someone, somewhere, sometime. And so if it has happened, it could happen. Anyway, halfway through the course my buddy with the PPS stated flatly that he needed a different pistol and shortly thereafter qualified with a G19.5. Ammo goes quick in a firefight and in several of the encounters there were multiple attackers/threats to deal with.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Strayz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:45 pm Yeah... I have upped my numbers instead of a single extra mag I carry 2 now.

No, I am not paranoid, and if anyone calls me that, I ask, "who else did you tell?"
On road trips I carry completely differently. To be comfortable over 100s of miles, I wear gym shorts and a hoodie. My normal pocket/IWB gun is pretty useless without a belt.
I go with a maxpedition shoulder bag on these trips. It sits on the passenger seat in reach while driving and on my body when I stop for gas. It holds my cell phone, wallet, keys, gum, flashlight, etc. Since it has a big pistol pocket, I'll throw a G17 in with an extra mag. No reason not to carry big when it is convenient.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:10 pm

On road trips I carry completely differently. To be comfortable over 100s of miles, I wear gym shorts and a hoodie. My normal pocket/IWB gun is pretty useless without a belt.
I go with a maxpedition shoulder bag on these trips. It sits on the passenger seat in reach while driving and on my body when I stop for gas. It holds my cell phone, wallet, keys, gum, flashlight, etc. Since it has a big pistol pocket, I'll throw a G17 in with an extra mag. No reason not to carry big when it is convenient.
Now that I have that PCC go-bag set up I'd very likely toss that in the vehicle if/when I take a road trip. And probably toss in that second 19X as well. Still carry the P365 for comfort but like you said, no reason not to carry big when it's convenient. Sage advice. In the event of a situation I can pass the P365 over to my wife and don the 19X with the backpack on my back with the Sub 2K. I'm not talking on a trip through Costco, but in an actual situation. And the go bag has items that would help mitigate a lot of stuff in situations. And of course a 'Mad Max' situation is at all likely so it simply takes up a little bit of room in the back of the vehicle along with the other GHB kit. So nothing lost or given up.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Yeah location may have something to do with your choice of attire. Wearing that around here this time of year could end up with your own news story about where they found you.

Wearing a firearm is a choice. That may mean you don't get to be 100% comfortable all the time.

I am still not a fan of the off the body carry for myself but if you can make it work roll with it.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Strayz wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Yeah location may have something to do with your choice of attire. Wearing that around here this time of year could end up with your own news story about where they found you.

Wearing a firearm is a choice. That may mean you don't get to be 100% comfortable all the time.

I am still not a fan of the off the body carry for myself but if you can make it work roll with it.
Not sure why my attire would get me in trouble. I'm sitting in a car for 10 hours not going to the mall. The only people that are going to see me are two gas station attendants in the middle of the night.
You may have missed that this is not my EDC setup. 99.9% of the time the gun is on my person.
Having the gun off body not only makes it more convenient and comfortable in these situations, but allows for a much more capable gun to be carried. None of those are negatives. When it's on the passenger seat it's in easy reach and threats are limited at 70mph on the highway.
The few minutes I'm stopped the gun is securely strapped to my body ready for an easy draw stroke. Just like if i was using a holster.
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

When driving a cross-draw holster worn on the belt on weak side work really well. It's comfortable and fast. When I was young and driving a low sportster I used to carry a J frame revolver in a ankle holster as it gave me easy and quick access while driving in a reclining seat.
Some people use shoulder holster while driving too as it gives you easy access.

If you never shot out of a moving you should try it if you have access to safe place. It's very different than shooting from static position especially as you drive fast.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:58 pm
Strayz wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Not sure why my attire would get me in trouble. I'm sitting in a car for 10 hours not going to the mall. The only people that are going to see me are two gas station attendants in the middle of the night.
You may have missed that this is not my EDC setup. 99.9% of the time the gun is on my person.
Having the gun off body not only makes it more convenient and comfortable in these situations, but allows for a much more capable gun to be carried. None of those are negatives. When it's on the passenger seat it's in easy reach and threats are limited at 70mph on the highway.
The few minutes I'm stopped the gun is securely strapped to my body ready for an easy draw stroke. Just like if i was using a holster.
You missed the part about location and atire. We already have frost on the windows in the morning, and it i snot going to start to get warm until may. A 10 hour drive will end up in one of 2 directions and when you are out of the city lots of things can happen, North and you are past fairbanks, and south you have been driving around Homer for a few laps.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

We get cold here too, but wearing comfortable clothes doesn't keep me from having supplies in the vehicle. I don't drive with half a dozen layers on. My car has a heater.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Paul has 7 or 8 guns on his top 5 list, but that’s Paul. Most of them revolve around a higher capacity platform. His reason for changing goes in hand with my view at this time that social unrest is off the chain and likely to get worse before it gets better.

I also thought it was interesting that he advocates for a MS. Paul and I were in agreement on that point.

Also of interest is his pick of the Sig P365 which he recently reviewed. Curious if that is his normal EDC?

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I’ve been getting the hankering to start carrying my 19X. I use to carry my G17.2 back in the 90’s so I figure the 19X wouldn’t be all that different. At least on occasion when I feel like it.