Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:13 pm Picked up my Kel Tec P17 today. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I will.

It was a little bit bigger that I thought it would be. In fact it is about the size of my Ruger SR22. It is fractionally longer and taller and the grip is wider to accommodate the 16 round magazine. It is a lot more comfortable in my hand. While it is only slightly larger it is considerably lighter than the SR22. Besides the mag capacity (16 vs. 10 of the SR22} other differences include that it has single action internal hammer instead of double action hammer fired. The trigger on the P17 is very, very light. It also comes with fiber optic front and adjustable rear sight. Ambidextrous thumb safety and mag release and a threaded barrel, thread protector, adapter and wrench. The slide is very easy to rack. Included are 3 16 round mags. All for $100+ cheaper than the SR22. I'm kinda impressed with it. Could turn out to be the ultimate kit gun.

It was $180 out the door ($169.99 + tax) at Sportsman's Warehouse online for delivery to your local store.
Bringing this back up again. Talked with the wife and we both think this would be a good pistol to pick up if we can find one locally at a good price. With the current state of ammo prices I'm looking at this as more in the 'need' column that the 'want' column. I want my wife to continue to practice, as well as my son but don't want to dip to heavily into the stockpile of primary calibers. I've got a bunch of .22 and I would think it would be easier/cheaper to replace as needed than the other service calibers...I hope.

And with the recoil being so light I could see my wife looking forward to shooting this with the needed regularity to increase her proficiency. Looking at your post your pistol came with 3 mags. Is that standard? Be nice if it was and that would be a great benefit.

I may call around tomorrow and see who has what and how much they're going for right now. Hoping it really hasn't gotten jacked up too much.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Anything .22LR is a good investment at this time. I do not see ammo coming down for a bit. Now that I have gotten a few new pistols and rifles in the collection I am going to start restocking reloading components and a few thousand rounds of FMJ for each caliber pistol and AR. Before I know it it will be winter again and I will be reloading. But for now I am going to train with my .22LRs. In my case I have a Ruger MKIV Target, a S&W M&P AR-22, and my trusty Savage Mark II BV.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:22 pm
Mac66 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:13 pm Picked up my Kel Tec P17 today. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I will.

It was a little bit bigger that I thought it would be. In fact it is about the size of my Ruger SR22. It is fractionally longer and taller and the grip is wider to accommodate the 16 round magazine. It is a lot more comfortable in my hand. While it is only slightly larger it is considerably lighter than the SR22. Besides the mag capacity (16 vs. 10 of the SR22} other differences include that it has single action internal hammer instead of double action hammer fired. The trigger on the P17 is very, very light. It also comes with fiber optic front and adjustable rear sight. Ambidextrous thumb safety and mag release and a threaded barrel, thread protector, adapter and wrench. The slide is very easy to rack. Included are 3 16 round mags. All for $100+ cheaper than the SR22. I'm kinda impressed with it. Could turn out to be the ultimate kit gun.

It was $180 out the door ($169.99 + tax) at Sportsman's Warehouse online for delivery to your local store.
Bringing this back up again. Talked with the wife and we both think this would be a good pistol to pick up if we can find one locally at a good price. With the current state of ammo prices I'm looking at this as more in the 'need' column that the 'want' column. I want my wife to continue to practice, as well as my son but don't want to dip to heavily into the stockpile of primary calibers. I've got a bunch of .22 and I would think it would be easier/cheaper to replace as needed than the other service calibers...I hope.

And with the recoil being so light I could see my wife looking forward to shooting this with the needed regularity to increase her proficiency. Looking at your post your pistol came with 3 mags. Is that standard? Be nice if it was and that would be a great benefit.

I may call around tomorrow and see who has what and how much they're going for right now. Hoping it really hasn't gotten jacked up too much.
I've kept my name on the notification list at SW and a number or online sources since I bought my second one in April. I've not seen any for sale anywhere since then. I think Keltec makes them in batches. The MSRP is only $200 so you shouldn't have to pay more than than.
Last edited by Mac66 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I'm running out in a bit to do some errands. Guy on AL had a 10 & 12 round P365 mags for $50 so I'm picking them up. That takes my by a couple of gun stores so I'll take the opportunity to pop in and see if they have one or if they can order one and how much.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

My nightstand gun just got a little more compact.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v4u6zndzklh4 ... 0.jpg?dl=0
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I got a big nightstand. I'll take that old can off your hands for say $20
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Bob wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:57 pm I got a big nightstand. I'll take that old can off your hands for say $20
:lol:
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Ronin.45 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:31 pm My nightstand gun just got a little more compact.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v4u6zndzklh4 ... 0.jpg?dl=0
Make sure to illuminate the pistol itself. If it doesn't scare an intruder it may just impress them. Nice setup!
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Just added another single shot shotgun to the collection. Trying not to spend money on guns this summer but when It was offered up on a local gun forum for $100 I couldn't resist.

It is a 12 ga NEF (New England Firearms, formally H&R) "Pardner" SB1.

cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 pm Just added another single shot shotgun to the collection. Trying not to spend money on guns this summer but when It was offered up on a local gun forum for $100 I couldn't resist.

It is a 12 ga NEF (New England Firearms, formally H&R) "Pardner" SB1.

Nice!
I'm looking for that same shotgun but in 410 for wife and kids to play with.