Your choice(s) for SHTF weapons

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Your choice(s) for SHTF weapons

Post by Ronin.45 »

bdc wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:38 am 1. a leatherman tool model with a scissors;
2. a minimal Swiss Victorinox knife with a scissors;
3. a pocket knife - probably a Buck 110;
4. a fixed blade knife - your choice;
5. a pellet rifle - your choice;
6. a pellet pistol - your choice.

Now I explain. Harry Callahan: “A man has to know his limitations.”

Go watch "There Were Expendable". There is scene, based upon a real person, wherein an old man runs a ship repair facility and helps the US Navy. I am older than that actor. US Army - more than 50 years ago.

In the 1930s depression, large edible game animals in the USA were nearly hunted to extinction. And, that will happen again here if shtf for a couple of years. Your "game animals" are going to be mice/rats/squirrels/earth worms/grass hoppers and so forth.

A few days after my 31st birthday, I was walking through the Khyber Pass with my late wife. At the narrowest point, you could fit two cars side-by-side - that wide. And, I actually saw one car. I looked straight up about 3000 feet and said "if I had to fight up there, I wouldn't make it". And, that was a long time ago.

You best tool or shtf weapon is your mind. It is always going to be with you. You fill it with skills. You try to keep the physical structure in good operating order.

Jeff Cooper once related a third hand story from a man purporting to be an escaped German POW in the Soviet Union. Guy supposedly went down the rail track from an arctic POW camp, killing soldiers at outposts and making his way back to Germany without speaking any Russian. Probably just a story, but it would be grist for a movie.

Now, get real. Read the book (skip the movie) about survival in shtf and the Bielski Brothers. Your survival, if any, will be extended if you are able to find a group of like minded people and engage in a division of labor.
I have never considered scissors as a weapon. Especially the little ones on a Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Ok. The scissors challenge.
1. cut soft cloth (t-shirt/cotton underwear) into small size pieces to put on cleaning rod;
'2. scrape excess lead off the case of pistol reloads when the lead bullet is oversized;
3. clean under extractors on rifles;
3. scrape carbon build up on firearms components.
4. cut string/rope like 550 cord to make an ersatz sling for a rifle.

Flew to Philly in October. Airline regs researched. Carried an aircraft aluminum flashlight and proper sized scissors on plane. If I had carried a Swiss knife or leatherman, they would have been confiscated.

Your turn...
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

For SHTF - being allowed to prep[ as needed:

#1 A 9mm pistol. Everyone needs a sidearm all the time. Why? Light, fast, and can be on you all the time even when handling other two-handed jobs. My personal choice - HK USP 9mm.

#2 Considering SHTF in the classic (meaning more lawlessness) situation - AK 47. My personal choice is an Arsenal SLR107FR, 1-6x scope and Streamlight. Why? Ultra reliable, low maintenance, .30 caliber goodness. It folds so usable in smaller spaces or car if needed.

#3 12g Shotgun. I know - seems excessive considering option #2 but extremely effective at shorter ranges, and for multiple uses. My choice - Mossberg 500 Persuader 20" Holds a few extra rounds.

#4 Henry Survival rifle .22LR - Super portable, floatable.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:57 pm For SHTF - being allowed to prep[ as needed:

#1 A 9mm pistol. Everyone needs a sidearm all the time. Why? Light, fast, and can be on you all the time even when handling other two-handed jobs. My personal choice - HK USP 9mm.
Agree with your #1 choice of 9mm. Ammunition is the widest available centerfire out there. A buddy of mine just got an HK USP in 9mm and loves it. My preference would be the Glock 26 as I detailed on page one for all of it's options. However, for my personal use I'd probably go with my Glock 19.5 and leave the G26 for my wife.
#2 Considering SHTF in the classic (meaning more lawlessness) situation - AK 47. My personal choice is an Arsenal SLR107FR, 1-6x scope and Streamlight. Why? Ultra reliable, low maintenance, .30 caliber goodness. It folds so usable in smaller spaces or car if needed.
AK is a good choice. My brother has an AK and used it quite a bit when he lived on 26 acres out in the boonies for larger critter control. As well as for a go-to HD weapon along side his Maverick 88. My go-to would be one on my AR's. I had an SKS a few years ago but decided to get into AR's so I traded and then got another AR for the 2-is-1 mantra.
#3 12g Shotgun. I know - seems excessive considering option #2 but extremely effective at shorter ranges, and for multiple uses. My choice - Mossberg 500 Persuader 20" Holds a few extra rounds.
For the last 30 years I've used/taught the Remington 870 and like the platform. And I have on for HD. However, I have a Mossy 500 in the car and think it's also an excellent platform. And too be honest, I like the top-mounted safety on the M500 than the trigger-mounted safety on the 870 because I don't have to loose my grip to take the safety on/off.
#4 Henry Survival rifle .22LR - Super portable, floatable.
These are cool little rifles that look like they'd be a lot of fun to shoot. And they'd make a great little truck/trunk gun.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

No doubt my S&W M&P-15-22 is a way more wicked weapon...Bipod, rails, fore grip, adjustable stock, 3-9 scope. But it is a lot of gun for a SHTF situation where carry/transportation becomes important.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

For SHTF I'm thinking Ar15 though I have several AKs set up as grab and go weapons i.e, everything (ammo, mags, gear) packed into a backpackable case. Still, I like the AR platform better. For a pistol, I have my G22 with a 9mm conversion barrel. I have a couple cases of 40 cal but about 10 cases of 9mm. Then there is always my 45s. They don't have the capacity of the 40/9 but are a bit better in power. I feel confident carrying any of the 4 I have, P97, 1911, 645 or the XD45. I have a couple cases of hardball but have plenty of powder, primers and bullets to reload a couple thousand 45s if I had to.

I do have a Remington 870 but it's a vintage Wingmaster and is too pretty to carry around for SD. I'd probably go with my Mossberg 500 which is set up for SD.
Quasar86

Post by Quasar86 »

I would not put myself in the position to have only one gun for any emergency situation. I believe in the old adage that a pistol is used to get to your rifle.
For a pistol many firearms experts feel the Glock G19 is the best handgun for many reasons including simplicity, availability of parts and ammo, and reliability. I have a couple.
For some of the same reasons the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 in either 12 or 20 ga. for a shotgun. Using buckshot gives decent range. The AR platform or alternately an SKS makes a great mid-distance rifle that can tolerate tough conditions and uses readily available ammo.
I agree that a .22LR can be a great addition for the reason mentioned above. YMMV.
Steve
"I've learned much from 32 years of military and 35 years of medicine"
David
Administrator

Post by David »

In the past I've talked about my G26.4 and if I could only have one pistol it would be that one. My G19.5 is a really close runner up. Overall the G19.5 feels better in my hand but the G26.4 uses the full (10 and up) range of magazines. Not that my preference runs to a 10 round magazine but it is an available option that I have on hand. As I've mentioned before, I normally run it with a G19 mag and an Xgrip anyway so in a pinch I could go with either option. I may just have to lean towards the G19 from now on.

Though if they ever came out with a Gen 5 Glock 23 I'd be all over it with a 9mm conversion barrel. I love the 2-n-1 gun combo and I really like both calibers 'just because'.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Even though some don't like them, Glock has a bunch of things in it's favor for prepping.