Capacity

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Capacity

Post by Bmyers »

The more the better. Each vehicle has at least 3-33-round magazines in them. The goal is to make sure I have enough to make a path out for the family and myself. I would prefer to avoid the whole mess, but occasionally, the mess will find you even when you are doing your best to avoid it.
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

Too many is better than too few but I never felt insufficient when I occasionally run out to the corner store to pick up milk with my S&W 42 with 5 rounds of 158gr JHP ammo and no spare ammo. I'm not an LEO and I have no illusions about getting into gun battle with BG to save bunch of civilians. I just need my gun to get me away from the threat.

BTW. I know 3 friends and acquaintances who had used their concealed weapon and 2 of them shot only 1 round and second one shot 2 rounds.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

cityfarmer wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:44 pm Too many is better than too few but I never felt insufficient when I occasionally run out to the corner store to pick up milk with my S&W 42 with 5 rounds of 158gr JHP ammo and no spare ammo. I'm not an LEO and I have no illusions about getting into gun battle with BG to save bunch of civilians. I just need my gun to get me away from the threat.

BTW. I know 3 friends and acquaintances who had used their concealed weapon and 2 of them shot only 1 round and second one shot 2 rounds.
I understand where you're coming from. Many years ago (more than a decade) I carried either a S&W 640 or 642 off-duty for a while. I liked both of those revolvers and in truth I like a good revolver. I felt 'fairly' comfortable with them capacity wise back then but still carried a nylon velcro dump pouch on my belt that carried an additional 6 rounds. It was small, flat and you'd never know I had it on my belt. But eventually I went back to higher capacity semi-autos simply because of the higher capacity and quicker reloads.

I've told this story before, but when I first started with the S.O. it was pretty backwards under that Sheriff in many ways. We eventually, under different Sheriff's became a Top 20 agency nationwide with other S.O.'s coming from around the country to learn what we were doing in a LOT of different areas. But back in 1990 it wasn't that way. I started with a S&W Model 64 .38 Special revolver and no reloads. So that was a grand total of 6 rounds in the gun and that was it. We trained with speed loaders but there weren't actually any issued. Yeah I know, stupid. I didn't actually start carrying speed loaders until 1995...and they were my own that I bought. Had a Cpl. tell my I couldn't carry them. I told him to stuff it. Later on we were issued speed loaders finally and shortly after we switched to 9mm Beretta's and then later Glock 21's. But back around 1995 I bought a used Glock 17.2 for off-duty and it always struck me funny that I was better armed off-duty than I was on-duty. Not 'ha-ha' funny but ironic-funny. And I didn't even carry a spare mag back then.

These days I pretty much don't have any pistols that have less than a 12-round capacity (personally). This doesn't count my wife's two pistols which are an 8+1 380EZ and 10+1 LCP II .22lr. She doesn't carry spare mags (I'm just happy she has a pistol with her) but I always carry one spare mag and and additional mag in my sling bag.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:27 pm With the increase rioting, looting, killings, assaults and flash mobs that have recently sky rocketed, has your (anyone) rethought how much ammunition would be prudent?
Been almost three months since I asked the above question. Things haven't improved and in fact have gotten much worse. And with the election looming I think it will continue to intensify. So the question remains, are you still comfortable with your current choice?

I have swapped out my 12-round spare mag for a 15-round spare mag. Only a 3-round increase, but it's a 3-round increase on something just slightly longer and still easily concealed.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have definitely upped my ammo - the two empty mags are now full, so PPS = 24 rounds.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 pm I have definitely upped my ammo - the two empty mags are now full, so PPS = 24 rounds.
Are those two spare mags on your person?

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I can carry hi-cap mags ( 15+1 ) in NY , but don't... ( only for 9mm as it was my gun when a LEO ) as it creates an issue interstate when I travel.
I do carry the G20 which holds 10+1 esp now with winter coming and heavier coats with extra mags in the vehicle but not on my person , YET !
You can't fix stupid !
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I'm still just carrying my pocket/IWB gun with no reload.
I did switch from a 43 to a 365 so it's 10rds instead of 6 now.
The switch wasn't based around capacity, but it's not a bad thing.
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

I guess I'm getting caught up in all these bad news and maybe a little paranoid too.
We just back from 800 miles road trip with family which we do several times a year. I normally take my S&W lightweight J frame in my pocket (5 rounds of 38 Special +P) and a Glock 19 with spare mag in the glove compartment (15+15 rounds). On this trip I took the J frame in my pocket plus a Glock 17 and 2 spare mags in the center consul (17+17+17 rounds). I even considered taking a AR pistol. A lot more ammo capacity than on usual trip.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Yeah... I have upped my numbers instead of a single extra mag I carry 2 now.

No, I am not paranoid, and if anyone calls me that, I ask, "who else did you tell?"
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.