Bang for the buck

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
maypo59

Re: Bang for the buck

Post by maypo59 »

Picked up an OLight mini baton, single cr123 yesterday.. was on sale for $25, just the light and lanyard, no battery, charger, etc.

Played with it last night, seems solid. Hopefully it can replace my EC1..
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Olight makes a good product, you should be fine with it. And no battery drain hopefully!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

My EDC light is an S1RII baton. It's great and goes months between charges without dying sometimes. I think you'll like it. Lots of power in such a small package.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Olight S1R Baton II 1000 Lumen Compact Rechargeable EDC Flashlight with Single IMR16340 and Magnetic Charging Cable
by OLIGHT
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Jackal359

Post by Jackal359 »

I have alot of fenix lights but they are several years old at least, newer offerings from them i find are over priced for there features, afew more minutes runtime and 100 lumens more compared to similar models from 2015-2016.

My favs is the Fenix LD41 2015/6 model, the thurnite TN12 2016/8 and Thurnite archer, my good old Fenix E11's still hanging in
there. They work and work well last light i bought was a TN12 2018 on sale via amazon 19 months ago. since then none of the new offerings from any company high end or budget has interested me enough to buy. LD41 ( 150 lumen/ 9.5 hour) and TN12 (175 lumens /11.8 hours) both top out in the 1000 lumen range.

For 2 x AA lights i like the Thurnite archer for $30 you can choose ethier cool or neutral LED.

Modes & Run-time:
-Firefly: 0.2lumen(28days);
-Low: 17lumen(4days);
-Medium: 75lumen(11hours)
-High: 500lumen(96minutes);
-Strobe: 500lumen(140minutes).

I spent my bucks and am happy with what i have, reasonable output (120-150 lumen) and long runtimes (9-10 hours) combined with reliability are king for me now.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Jackal359 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:37 am For 2 x AA lights i like the Thurnite archer for $30 you can choose ethier cool or neutral LED.

Modes & Run-time:
-Firefly: 0.2lumen(28days);
-Low: 17lumen(4days);
-Medium: 75lumen(11hours)
-High: 500lumen(96minutes);
-Strobe: 500lumen(140minutes).

I spent my bucks and am happy with what i have, reasonable output (120-150 lumen) and long runtimes (9-10 hours) combined with reliability are king for me now.
Welcome to the board :)

That archer has some really decent stats. I've really come to appreciate the low and firefly/moon modes and they are really useful. And 17 lumens for 4 days runtime is actually considerable. It doesn't sound like a lot of lumens but compare it with something like a Mini Maglite with an incandescent bulb that has between 5-15 lumens output depending on the bulb and batteries. When I was in the military the Mini Maglite had only been out a couple of years and was all the rage. The A.F. Security Police had them issued to them and they were very popular because it produced such a bright light in a small package. And that was in the 5-15 lumen range! So a low setting of 17 lumens in the Archer will produce even better light (and better/cleaner white spot as opposed to that ringy yellow) that is quite usable and best of all, great run time.

These days I'm looking more at the lows and runtimes than the highs. While 500-1600 lumens is great when it's needed, most common tasks can be taken care of on the low settings.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".