Top FIVE Prepper Gray Man Failures!

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
ratf51
Board Founder

Re: Top FIVE Prepper Gray Man Failures!

Post by ratf51 »

First off, not everyone who does these things is necessarily a "prepper." The video also begs for a definition of who or what a prepper is. I know people who have the stickers on vehicles but they would not be considered people who prep for emergencies much less have any concept of what being a "gray/greyman" is.
So-- Stickers On Vehicles-- knowledge is power and when we give away a lot of information about ourselves it puts us in a place whereby we can be taken advantage of. People who do the sticker thing often give out far to much personal information without thinking. I also think that people who have made the leap from "making a statement" to "being prepared" would probably remove any overly informative stickers. As Mammy Yokum would say, "I has spoken!"
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:23 am
Bob wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:57 pm I also support the right of any private business to throw you out if you walk in "open carrying" your AR. Or they don't like the distance between your eyes, the color of your skin, or your religion. Or your shirt is ugly. Or they just feel like it.

I'll throw out the guy with an AR before any of the others, because he will hurt business the most.
The right to keep and BEAR arms is a constitutionally protected civil right at least in theory. it is the one thing you mentioned that is actually in the constitution. Therefore it would be unconstitutional to discriminate against someone who is bearing arms in whatever manner they see fit.
Not in my privately owned business it isn't. Out front on the common thoroughfare, sure. But not in my store! Try that and find out what happens, even in an open carry state. MY store is not a PUBLIC area protected by Freedom of Speech, Religion, the Press, or any kind of Weapon. and that's the way it SHOULD be!!!!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Couple of points; if the business has a 'gun free' zone or whatever, that isn't law, it's just company policy. So if you do carry, they can only ask you to leave. You haven't broken any law (certain exceptions like court houses, jails, police stations etc.). Secondly, in some states the business owner is required to ensure the safety of customers if it's a gun free zone. Which means their liable if something happens to you. That is also the way it should be.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Meanwhile, back to the grey man.

Sometimes you don't want to like like the grey man. It may not be a bad idea in certain situations to look a little "tactical" for the same reason as the proverbial "racked" shotgun. It sends the message that this may not be an easy target.

I think that is much more of a message for the average criminal/thug etc. than appearing to be nothing interesting. Nothing is actually closer to "potential easy target" in my opinion. I know - the art here is to look nondescript, but not like a victim.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:14 pm Meanwhile, back to the grey man.

Sometimes you don't want to like like the grey man. It may not be a bad idea in certain situations to look a little "tactical" for the same reason as the proverbial "racked" shotgun. It sends the message that this may not be an easy target.

I think that is much more of a message for the average criminal/thug etc. than appearing to be nothing interesting. Nothing is actually closer to "potential easy target" in my opinion. I know - the art here is to look nondescript, but not like a victim.
Well, I have to agree, it's situational. There are times to blend into the background of anonymity. There are times to show confidence or even an air of the lion walking through the jungle. I've been told I walk as someone with confidence. Call it command presence or simply putting out the vibe of 'don't mess with me'. I think it's appropriate at the correct time.

There is a saying, 'if you look like food...you'll get eaten'. And of course, not to be confused with cockyness or foolhardlyness.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bringing this back up for discussion. Not so much on the OP video but in regards to all the rioting going on right now. Good time to discuss grey man tactics, strategies and what type of gear you may want with you if you were caught up in something.

Not being caught up is of course plan A. But unfortunately, stuff happens and you never know when something or where something might kick off. Busch Gardens for example was hit by riots last night. That's 20 minutes away from me by vehicle. And I do go there occasionally because of some of the markets in the area.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Grey man issue here: Situational awareness; Find the most direct path out of the area.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

sometimes Overt works, but I would rather be the covert guy and simply walk away ... why bring attention to yrself
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:44 am sometimes Overt works, but I would rather be the covert guy and simply walk away ... why bring attention to yrself
Yep, when at all possible, blend into the background and move to leave the area. I could see overt if you were cornered by a large and/or armed group. I think of that Fox News Security Officer with the AR15 and Glock that disarmed the little Antifa snot. The little snot probably crapped in his pants when he had a Glock shoved in his face. He surrendered the AR15 he found in short order. So there may be a time for in-your-face-over-the-top methods. Very situational.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

The following pithy saying from 'Men in Black' really makes a lot of sense when it comes to practical prepping and being a 'gray man'.

You're a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist; you were never even born. Anonymity is your name. Silence your native tongue. You're no longer part of the System. You're above the System. Over it. Beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Black.