Your choice(s) for SHTF weapons

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Your choice(s) for SHTF weapons

Post by David »

It's become a concern to me in that I was thinking of making my G22 the night stand pistol. Which means I would have outfitted it with my TLR-8 or possibly one of the Olights. That is no longer a consideration. To be clear, there very well might never be an issue. However, we are talking about a pistol that may be called upon in the dead of night for HD. That would clearly not be the time for the weapon to malfunction because of a WML.

I'm looking to sell or trade off the G22 locally. It's not an absolute 'have to get rid of it at all cost' type of thing. I could easily have it as a HD pistol in another part of the house where I don't really need it to have a WML. Or I could simply put in the 9mm conversion barrel which seems to not have issues. But I'm also not married to the pistol so if I can trade or sell it and get another G45 or 19X or something similar then that would be fine as well.

Doesn't hurt to see what the market may bring. And I have three other 40S&W pistols, I do like the caliber :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I did end up selling the G22. Liked it but don't miss it.

As such this would be my current answer to the OP. Since it isn't limited to just one firearm...
This thread can be about the 'one gun' you thing every prepper should have, or which three guns they should have or simply about the ones you have. Is there one platform that covers all your needs?
My thoughts are the Glock 45. Several reasons go into this decision. First, the popularity of Glock helps with finding necessary parts and mags which are common. It's in a caliber that is also popular and therefore easier to find 'in the wild'. The platform is a proven combat/war zone design that is reliable even when dirty, durable with high round counts likely, less parts and less lubrication necessary than many other pistols. It is also very concealable so the ability to go 'grey man' is increased while still having a defensive tool that is capable of high capacity. It is also compatible with my Sub 2K PCC as they use the same mags. This combo can easily fit into my PCC/pistol go-bag to maintain grey man yet provide access to two capable platforms.

For carry I'd choose my HK USPc. I'd have it in the 40S&W format with the 9mm slide/mags and 357sig barrel in the go-bag. This gives me access to a platform that can take advantage of two additional calibers should I come across them. Better to have options than be limited to a single caliber. It is a rugged design that is also a proven combat/war zone pistol. Also very concealable so grey man is still an option.

Holsters for both can be kept in the go-bag as well as other necessary gear.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I read, listen and consider.

I present a mentor's approach and thinking. He is retired, was a 5th degree black belt and a firearms instructor for years.
1. he reduced his handguns down to 2 Glock 40 calibers and had a double lifetime of parts. One for practice and one for shtf.
2. he doesn't reload. Shoots white box, aluminum clad ammo. No mess with reloading. Rounds go bang every time. His shooting skills make "defensive loads" unnecessary.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

The "One gun" every prepper should have? Even though I am not a fan....

Have to say Glock 19:
- Big enough for HD, small enough for carry
- Easy to use & maintain
- 9mm cheap and plentiful (usually)
- Commonly found gun
- Infinite accessories
- Ultra reliable
- Decent price

An S&W M&P or Springfield XD would be close runners up. One gun? I want more than one, but that would be fine.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

From a FB group I belong to;
After long deep thought… “BUG OUT” I’ll take a good 9mm carbine and comfy 9mm pistol or 2 over shotguns and high powered rifles. Reasons are simple. A quality 124 gr bullet through a 16 inch barrel with a decent scope with multiple reticle lines or readily adjustable iron sight hits a 250 yd target accurately within (realistic) 8 inch accuracy. Most of your shots will really take place a lot closer than that. Last years deer hunt landed a doe at 173 yds with the AR-9 with a single pull of the trigger, 70ish yds later was its end of travel. My choice of bullet expanded to around .630 and stopped at the skin on the opposite side. (Norm is .355) The shot angle ended up going through 14 inches of the interior build of that particular doe before being caught in the flesh of the opposite side.
The point of this is that a 9mm is underrated tremendously. It could be(and is, at least to me) the best ‘cheap’ and versatile round ever made for the survivalist or prepper. Put 1000 rounds of a rifle round of your choice in a bag and another 1000 rds of the 9mm in another bag… you know the difference without any explanation. Combine those rounds of some big rifle round and add your additional 9mm rounds (or other caliber) to your mix. Is it worth the extra hassle, weight and space ?
Pic is my daughters buck from only 30 yds. Complete pass through.

This offers confirmation to what I posted earlier (and also in the SBR/pistol go-bag thread) about my KT Sub 2K and Glock 45 combo. Same mags so the compatibility of ammo/mags is taken care of nicely. Effective round for SD from either platform and doable for reasonably sized game.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

It is a couple of years later and I will update my thoughts.

1. there is a difference between what I would do for myself, as an individual, and what I would do in a group situation.

Very rarely is there any discussion about a group situation. So, I will make some comments.
1. most people have absolutely no background in any weapon system or martial art;
2. if shtf, you may be the only person with any background to be able to teach and you will have multiple demands on your time.
3. no one has an endless budget or storage capability.
4. being able to use any object other than your hands as a weapon is better than using your hands.
5. the movements using in stick fighting, sword fighting, pocket folder fighting, fixed blade fighting are the same.

You can teach the basic movements in escrima within a couple of hours. You can not instill situational awareness in that time frame. So, I plan on teaching the 12 year old, the overweight house wife, the retiree basic movements only and then let them practice. There are practice swords, real swords, entrenching tools, lengths of chain, hatchets, axe handles, pocket knives, fixed blade knives available.

In a longer time frame, I have cross bows, recurse bows and trapping materials available. Those weapons take longer to reach and master.

Remember that your skills are not transferable to someone else by osmosis. You will not be able to transfer 40 years of police experience to a person by telling stories or simply handing the person a firearm.